Radiation leak

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Radiation leak

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Nov 22, '09, 4:33 pm

A radiation leak has been found at Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania. Officials say there is no danger to the public.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091122/D9C4M3SO0.html

I hope they are right and that this is safe again soon.

I don't know about anyone else but these nuclear power plants make me nervous....especially when they have a leak! :bowser_shock:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Radiation leak

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Nov 22, '09, 5:17 pm

If America would update its nuclear power plants with the new technology available, nuclear power would be safer, cheaper, cleaner and more efficient than oil or coal. There's an oil refinery near where I used to live...if that thing blew up my hometown would be wiped off the map in an instant and then some, and there have been numerous oil and gasoline leaks into the river that it's built near. Honestly, I think an oil refinery is just as potentially dangerous as a nuclear power plant. Nuclear power doesn't spew enormous amounts of CO2 and methane into the air, and most nuclear waste can be recycled.

Take a look at France. They use almost all nuclear power, and have some of the cheapest energy and cleanest air in the world.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sun Nov 22, '09, 5:40 pm

Yeah, there's no telling what kind of outdated technology is used in those plants. The article itself says the place has been around at least thirty years. I'm sure there are parts that have been updated and replaced in that time, but likely some have not. If the power companies or government would invest in improving them, the nation would be better off. That's probably a sure sign that it will never happen, though. :(

In an ideal world, they would look more to solar or wind power. There's always plenty of sunlight that could be tapped for energy. There's not going to be a cleaner energy source than that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Nov 22, '09, 7:04 pm

Unfortunately, solar cells and panels are extremely expensive to produce, and once worn out, I'm not sure of a good way to dispose of them. Also, solar energy can't be used in a lot of places, but I think where it IS usable, it should be used. Same with wind power, which, in my opinion, we should be using it everywhere it is possible, as wind is probably cleanest, cheapest in the long-term, and most abundant.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Mon Nov 23, '09, 3:07 am

Australia was recently thinking of using nuclear power as a source of energy too. I wasn’t a fan of the idea myself. The idea of Australia using nuclear power was put on hold for now or so I’ve heard. Leaks are just one of the things that have me against it.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Casual Conversation