The end of CDs?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

The end of CDs?

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 4, '08, 9:20 am

The CD has been the main media for music for over 20 years. Now, however, it looks like some music companies and stores are trying to switch over to a new format: the micro SD card.

Read more about it here: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2 ... isk-_N.htm

What do you think of this? Would you be more likely to buy music on an SD card than a CD? Do you even have a device that can play this kind of card?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Thu Dec 4, '08, 1:49 pm

If CDs (or any kind of compact disc that comes physically with a box and beautiful covers, lyrics, informations and other images) end, then there's no difference between mp3 (downloaded) and the music we buy... and that's a mistake.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Dec 4, '08, 3:38 pm

newsblade wrote:If CDs (or any kind of compact disc that comes physically with a box and beautiful covers, lyrics, informations and other images) end, then there's no difference between mp3 (downloaded) and the music we buy... and that's a mistake.

Yeah. Have the reason I love CDs so much is because they come with art, and generally a booklet with the lyrics, information about the artist, and other such extra goodies. But I guess such is technology. *Sigh*
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 4, '08, 9:24 pm

newsblade wrote:then there's no difference between mp3 (downloaded) and the music we buy... and that's a mistake.

The music on the SD cards is even in mp3 format. It seems like they're making it even easier for music pirates with that, doesn't it?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Dec 4, '08, 10:20 pm

Oh no, I am just now really getting into CD's. I don't like this one bit. If Walmart is involved, though, it's probably going to be the wave of the future.

Sometimes progress isn't all it's cracked up to be, though. They got rid of the vinyl LP albums and went to 8 track tapes, then cassette tapes, then CD's, etc., etc., etc. Have you ever looked on ebay at what some of those old vinyl LP albums are selling for now????? Collectors are eating them up. Progress may be good, but the old stuff is what a lot of people still want. Retailers have no clue sometimes.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby luke » Fri Dec 5, '08, 5:38 pm

the thing with vinyl records is that if you have an original pressing, in excellent condition, of an album is regarded within certain music communities, it's going to fetch a lot of money. some of that has to do with posturing and kids will spend infinite amounts of money to have the most limited edition possible. it also has to do with the history behind an item, which i personally think is really cool.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Wed Dec 24, '08, 1:05 am

I personally don't see CD's dying away since they're probably easier to manufacture than any other media. If anything it'll be similar to the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD thing we saw earlier in the year with CD's still staying strong and other formats available.
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby luke » Sun Jan 4, '09, 9:08 pm

Darkil wrote:I personally don't see CD's dying away since they're probably easier to manufacture than any other media. If anything it'll be similar to the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD thing we saw earlier in the year with CD's still staying strong and other formats available.

mp3s are easier to manufacture than cds, in the sense that there is nothing material at all. i know loads of people who just throw away the packaging and just stick the disc in a binder of some sort with the others.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Lemina » Mon Jan 12, '09, 5:10 pm

Well, it would be less wasteful if we stopped using CDs. Still, I'm not too big about this change. I hope CDs stay around for a while yet.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Return to Tootin' Tunes