Attackers bring down PSN & XBLA on Christmas

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Attackers bring down PSN & XBLA on Christmas

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Dec 25, '14, 11:37 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/25/ ... e-are-down

Now, Christmas is probably a very heavy traffic day for XBLA and PSN, as lots of people are getting new consoles and setting up accounts, and many of those folks and current owners are probably getting gift cards for downloads. So I imagine that the services are more prone to slowness or coming offline when traffic gets crazy.

But then in steps a hacker group to attack and bring down both services. No idea why, but I can't think of a single good reason to do such a thing. It seems it's basically to get some cheap laughs and no other reason.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Dec 25, '14, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Attackers bring down PSN & XBLA on Christmas

Postby Hukos » Fri Dec 26, '14, 9:22 am

Because shutting down these "services" is attacking "the man", man.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Re: Attackers bring down PSN & XBLA on Christmas

Postby Rylen » Sat Dec 27, '14, 4:54 pm

I can't even use the words I want to use to describe my thoughts on these script kiddies and their hacks. I think the laws should be modified so that these hackers (I use the term loosely) should be classified as terrorists. I know in Ham (Amateur) Radio someone causes interference we *can* and *will* track you down. FCC fines start at around 10K. Perhaps we should apply that kind of logic as well. Either way it's annoying since XBL (which I am on under ZorronX) won't give us any credit for the time we lose being unable to play.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Return to In the News