Atlin Review - Scribblenauts

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Atlin Review - Scribblenauts

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Jul 9, '10, 12:38 am

Introduction
Hey everyone. Atlin here. This time with Scribblenauts as a review. While looking at my list of games I compiled, I realized this was missing from it and decided to play it again, and write a review on it. =D

Story 3/10
While there isn't really any story in this game, the objective of the game is to help Maxwell complete objectives and collect Starites. There is no introduction, no ending (except credits) and no real source of motivation for Maxwell's journey. However, maybe it's because of the lack of story that makes this game so great.

Gameplay 9/10
In Scribblenauts, there are 3 modes of gameplay. Sandbox, Puzzle, and Action. To create items in this world, you simply either type, or write it in your notepad. The ability it has to actually read what letters you write was a nice touch by 5TH Cell, while it isn't always accurate as to what you write, and you'll find yourself switching to the QWERTY for some letters. Moving around is done by using the touchpad along with interacting with objects. When Maxwell jumps it sometimes seems as if he's having a spaz attack, but otherwise it's good.

In Sandbox mode, you can create anything you want and interact with objects . This is the greatest mode to waste time in and is an excellent addition to the game. In this mode you don't have to worry about collecting Starites and discover new items to have fun with.It is overall fun thing to have.

In Puzzle mode, you create objects to complete a certain condition in order to get the Starite. Whether it be helping a lumberjack cut down a tree, getting a cat off a roof, or even cleaning up a park, you help Maxwell to solve them by creating interactable objects.

In Action mode, it's basically get from point A to point B. As simple as it sounds, it's not quite so. Most of the time, you'll be trying hard to dodge all the hazards that lay in your way. When you finally reach point B you feel happy to have made it. In the beginning it's easy but later on, it gets hard enough to the point where you have to start thinking out-of-the-box. Try blowing up a tornado for example. =D

As you progress and collect more Ollars with each passing level, you can go on to purchase levels, character skins, and music.

Sound 7/10
At first the sound is pretty good, the music is nice and sound effects are pretty decent for a game such as this. You can purchase new music at the Ollars Store which you can then view later on. One problem I did have though was the fact that the music got repetitive after awhile. But here's an idea, make yourself a stereo for some additional music. ^_^

Graphics 9/10
Scribblenauts has a cartoony look to it which makes for some amusing scenes to occur. Try taking an Atheist for example and sticking him next to God. The Atheist then runs away into a pool with a shark in it as God chases him and defeats the shark. While many of the objects don't have many details in them, it works for the gamestyle and makes some things less disturbing.

Re-playability 10/10
Scribblenauts is a great game. I have already wasted countless hours finding hidden words and doing the puzzles. With 22,802 words to choose from, it makes this game fun, trying to find all the words and possibilities. Whether it be celebrity being followed by a stalker with a knife, two football players tackling each other for, well, a football, or even a ghost in a prison chasing a criminal. With so many little quirks like this, it is a great game to have.

Overall 8.5/10
For those that love to waste time and have fun, I recommend finding this gem for your collection. With it's selection of words to choose from and interactable objects, it's a great addition for anyone's library. With that I say "Write Anything. Solve Everything."
Last edited by Atlinsmere on Fri Jul 9, '10, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Re: Atlin Review - Scribblenauts

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 9, '10, 1:22 am

Terrific review, Atlin! :clap:

I've learned a lot about this game. Looking forward to future reviews. :yes:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Jul 9, '10, 7:45 am

Glad to hear that SS. I think my next review is going to be on F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin, but I'm not sure yet.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jul 9, '10, 1:28 pm

Atlin, did you ever spawn Cthululu? When Zero Punctuation released a review of Scribblenauts, he made a huge joke of that.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to General Gaming