Dragon Warrior I, II

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Dragon Warrior I, II

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Mar 29, '07, 6:12 pm

Looks like a fun and popular game from what I've seen. I don't believe I have played any of these as yet however. I think there is a Dragon Warrior I, and II. Not certain if there are any other versions or not. Anyone know anything about these games?
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Dragon Warrior I, II

Postby Neithird » Thu Mar 29, '07, 6:39 pm

Yup, that's my fave series, other than Phantasy Star. The original name is Dragon Quest, but they renamed the first four to Dragon Warrior when they were released in the US. I don't know why, I guess they just thought it sounded better. The more recent games kept the original Dragon Quest name.

The games go up to Dragon Quest 8, which was on the PlayStation 2. I think it came out last year. These games are amazingly popular in Japan, from what I hear. Some of them didn't get released in the US because the American branch of the producer, Enix, closed for a few years. But Enix merged with another big company, Square, a few years back, so now they're coming out over here again.

I've heard that a Dragon Quest 9 is being made, but I don't know anything about it yet.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Sat Mar 31, '07, 7:29 pm

I played some of the NES games, up through number four, I think. If I remember right, I have some remakes for Game Boy, too.

I was sad to hear when Enix shut down their US branch. They made top quality games. I'm glad their stuff is coming out here again, even if they did have to merge with Square to get that going.

I hear #9 is going to be on the Nintendo DS.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Thu Apr 5, '07, 6:55 pm

On the DS? Shoot. I guess I'll pass on that one for a while. I'm not playing to get a DS any time soon.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Mon May 7, '07, 5:04 pm

When I was little, I LOVED Dragon Warrior. Played through 1-4 on my NES and loved them all to pieces. :mrgreen:

Great game series, though I didn't like DW7 because of the storyline which was drug out way too long, then got incredibly ridiculous towards the end. They got rid of one of my favorite characters, so I wasn't happy about that or the replacement. D:

DQ8 reminds me of DBZ, which isn't appealing, in my opinion. I'm sure the storyline's alright, but I probably wouldn't want to play it unless I was bored and had a lot of time on my hands.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon May 7, '07, 5:51 pm

DQ8 reminds me of DBZ, which isn't appealing, in my opinion.

I noticed that too, but it didn't bother me much. I think of it as more like DBZ reminding me of Dragon Quest. The same guy that created the character designs for DBZ has always been doing the same for Dragon Quest, ever since the first game. Since I knew about DQ much earlier, I always associate that look with Dragon Quest first, Chrono Trigger second (he did those, too!), and then Dragon Ball. 8)

But, even then, I did think the psyche up transformations in DQVIII were a little too much of a copy of DBZ's super-sayian. :yes:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Icecypher » Wed Sep 10, '14, 9:23 pm

I love Dragon Quest. I started with an animated series and discovered the games after that, but that does not mean I do not like the games any less. It actually helped, since I saw the battles as something more than text and numbers. For me, they were always having battles as in a TV show, and the spells caused more damage than just a few digits on a single character: they actually damage the ground and things like that.

Dragon Quest VII is actually my favorite one (with VI a close second). The amount of character interaction and development was awesome in that game (via party chat). And the end is no more or less ridiculuous than that of most videogames, especially when dealing with demons and the like.

About changing the name to Dragon Warrior, remember back then there was a Dungens & Dragons-related property using the name DragonQuest.

Thoul wrote:But, even then, I did think the psyche up transformations in DQVIII were a little too much of a copy of DBZ's super-sayian. :yes:

Something our "wise" friends from the USA branch thought would be cool, since they added it (the Japanese version has the characters get the pink glow, but the hero's hair is unchanged).
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 24, '15, 9:55 am

Ahh, that explains a lot really. The USA branch must've been trying to draw in the DBZ fans then.

I was actually able to find a copy of DQVII at a flea market a few years back, but I still haven't played it. I really should get around to that some time. I've got a bit of an itch to play VIII again, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Retro Roundup