Artwork Finished: “A Rose For Alys”

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

So, I'm thinking about stopping the typographic image project… but I wanted everyone elses opinion on the matter. Question: Should the typographic image project continue, or should I quit while I'm ahead? CAST YOUR VOTES!!!!

No!!! You've got a good thing going on!!
78%
Yeah, you should stop.
22%

Total votes : 9

Postby Dorrinal » Thu Oct 30, '08, 9:23 pm

Heikabuchi wrote:Thank you! Thank you all! I really appreciate all your kind words! Now, my friends, I've come to a crossroad… Who should I do next? I'm open to suggestions. =)

I'm going to go with "E. Farmer" or maybe "Grandfather Dorin".
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby luke » Mon Nov 3, '08, 4:17 am

congrats on finishing these! i'm sure they've taken you a lot of time, and it shows you've worked really hard on them.

if you don't mind, i've included a bit of feedback. it isn't intended to be negative, just thoughts from viewer to creator. as a part of my school program we're collectively required to critique a person's artwork for two hours every week. i've always found that these things help a lot, and hopefully this will be helpful to you!

personally, i wish i would see more of your hand (as in using physical materials) in this in either a collage or mixed media work. even if you plan on keeping these works primarily digital, thinking about using your initial workspace and negative space to activate/strengthen your composition (as in, scanning in textured objects such as canvas, paper, etc.) could really add another dimension to these portraits, figurative or literal. if you want to continue working like this, i'd also heavily recommend thinking about what is working within these two images, and what isn't. i think now that you've done two, you can step back and contemplate how to realize these in a more complete way.

i'd also check out the following artists/people. most of this is from the "fine art" world, as i'm not really well-versed in manga or other graphic novels. even if these aren't visually cohesive with what you're attempting to create, i think reading about their ideas concerning text and image might make for interesting research.
edward tufte
barbara kruger
john heartfield (example)
katsuhiro otomo (example)

sorry for all the text. just in one of those moods i suppose! let me know if this is helpful or if you have any questions.
ps. do rune next!
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Heikabuchi » Mon Nov 3, '08, 4:10 pm

Tsunami: Well, it was easier than the one I did of Chaz, but that's because I'm starting to get better at painting with text. I'd say this one took me around five hours.
Lemina: Rune it is! I'll get started right away! =)
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Heikabuchi » Mon Nov 3, '08, 4:12 pm

Dorrinal wrote:
Heikabuchi wrote:Thank you! Thank you all! I really appreciate all your kind words! Now, my friends, I've come to a crossroad… Who should I do next? I'm open to suggestions. =)

I'm going to go with "E. Farmer" or maybe "Grandfather Dorin".

Ooooh! I do enjoy a good challenge. =) I think I just may do Dorin after I complete Rune!
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Heikabuchi » Mon Nov 3, '08, 4:16 pm

luke wrote:congrats on finishing these! i'm sure they've taken you a lot of time, and it shows you've worked really hard on them.

if you don't mind, i've included a bit of feedback. it isn't intended to be negative, just thoughts from viewer to creator. as a part of my school program we're collectively required to critique a person's artwork for two hours every week. i've always found that these things help a lot, and hopefully this will be helpful to you!

personally, i wish i would see more of your hand (as in using physical materials) in this in either a collage or mixed media work. even if you plan on keeping these works primarily digital, thinking about using your initial workspace and negative space to activate/strengthen your composition (as in, scanning in textured objects such as canvas, paper, etc.) could really add another dimension to these portraits, figurative or literal. if you want to continue working like this, i'd also heavily recommend thinking about what is working within these two images, and what isn't. i think now that you've done two, you can step back and contemplate how to realize these in a more complete way.

i'd also check out the following artists/people. most of this is from the "fine art" world, as i'm not really well-versed in manga or other graphic novels. even if these aren't visually cohesive with what you're attempting to create, i think reading about their ideas concerning text and image might make for interesting research.
edward tufte
barbara kruger
john heartfield (example)
katsuhiro otomo (example)

sorry for all the text. just in one of those moods i suppose! let me know if this is helpful or if you have any questions.
ps. do rune next!

My friend, you have some excellent tastes in fine art. I'm actualy something of a fan of Tufte. Since you've shared some of your favs’, I'd encourage you to take a look at some of Andy Warhol’s work.

By the way.... You live in bloomington? Dude, I go to USI (University of Southern Indiana)
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Lemina » Mon Nov 3, '08, 5:29 pm

Heikabuchi wrote:Tsunami: Well, it was easier than the one I did of Chaz, but that's because I'm starting to get better at painting with text. I'd say this one took me around five hours.
Lemina: Rune it is! I'll get started right away! =)

:bouncy: Thank you! I can't wait to see it!

You should do the E. Farmer along with Dorin. I know that there isn't a lot of text to go with him, but still. XD

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby luke » Mon Nov 3, '08, 9:42 pm

Heikabuchi wrote:By the way.... You live in bloomington? Dude, I go to USI (University of Southern Indiana)

yeah, this is my last year at iu in bfa printmaking. what are you studying at usi?
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Heikabuchi » Tue Nov 4, '08, 3:34 pm

luke wrote:
Heikabuchi wrote:By the way.... You live in bloomington? Dude, I go to USI (University of Southern Indiana)

yeah, this is my last year at iu in bfa printmaking. what are you studying at usi?

Double major in Graphic Design and Interactive Media.
Dude! You guys won the Scion contest? Everyone in the USI Art department is crying over that! xD
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Celeith » Thu Nov 6, '08, 8:12 pm

Heh think you can do Demi or Kyra next? You've already finished one of my favorite characters in PSIV and seeing the other 2 favorite characters of mine would really make this seem extremely cool. I still come back to this post every day to see the image because it just brings a tear to my eye to see things about Alys in this day considering she died so long ago.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Previous

Return to Artwork