Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, '07, 9:10 pm 
In shopping for presents this year, I looked at some DVD sets of various TV shows. I saw prices ranging from $20 to $600. :o There was also a movie set, from the United Artist studios, that was $900! :faint:

I think that is a little too much, don't you? What is the most you've ever paid or would be willing to pay for a DVD set? I might pay up to $100 if it was a set I really wanted, but I'd never go above that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, '07, 5:09 am 
People are insane these days, that guitar hero that sold for more than 9000. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, '07, 10:08 pm 
Yeah, I've avoided a lot of sets because of the high prices. There are several shows I'd like to have, but I'm not willing to pay $40 for two DVDs like some sets have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, '07, 12:09 am 
A lot of those $40 box sets go on sale for $20 - the Smallville and Simpsons ones for example. I always wait them out until they're cheap. There are some others though, like the X-Files ones, that never drop below $60-$80. That's usually more than I'm willing to spend.

I've seen more of those complete series sets lately - they're always triple digits. I guess if you break it down to $X-per-episode some are a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, '07, 3:16 am 
Yeah, some of them are outrageously high. Some not worth it either.

I don't know if the United Artist set you spoke of is the one I heard about or not, but if so, I think it has over 90 something movies on it - classics, too. Now, that is well worth the price, I think, although still very expensive. Still, if you bought each movie seperately it would probably cost you more than that. I saw them mention this one on Oprah and the "Extra" entertainment show.

I try and catch them on sale if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, '07, 3:06 pm 
That's probably the same set. I know it had a bunch of movies in it. Like hugues said, it's a good deal if you look at the cost per movie. $900 for 90, that's $10 each. Not a bad deal at all. Even so, I don't have $900 to blow in one sitting. I might may $10 for the movies individually, but it would be spread out over a long, long time. That's a lot different than all at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, '07, 7:31 pm 
And who has the time to watch 90 movies?! XD Asuming that each would have only a half hour even, that would be 45 hours of 1 show, 2 days worth. XDDDD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, '07, 12:43 am 
I know there are some full length movies in that 900 set, including some of the Rocky movies. If all together, they average 2 hours a piece, that would be a full seven and a half days. It would take a very long time to go through that set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, '07, 1:01 pm 
You can really get ripped off for box sets of DVDs, especially anime, which I'm into. I try not to buy them retail, and I can usually find them cheaper on Amazon. Hughes is right, stores do have some pretty good sales, so keep your eye out for them. I recently picked up the newest Family Guy box set at target for $19.99 which is not too bad.

Then I have the opposite extreme where I'm looking for the Abenobashi Box set (anime) and it's $50 for a 13 episode series. I'll wait to find a good deal on this one on Amazon.

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]