Laura Bush book

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Laura Bush book

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 29, '10, 2:20 pm

Former First Lady, Laura Bush, has written a new book titled "Spoken From The Heart". The book talks about a car crash she was in many years ago and also other interesting political situations, etc., involving her and her husband, former President George W. Bush.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36818869/ns ... ?GT1=43001

Another book to put on my reading list. :reading:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Laura Bush book

Postby Thoul » Thu Apr 29, '10, 5:52 pm

This book seems to have a very defensive tone. Maybe it's just the way it is being presented in the article, but almost every quote provided is about defending herself or her husband from their critics. I can't imagine how such a book would make for enjoyable reading.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby MrRoivas » Thu Apr 29, '10, 7:58 pm

Once again, the parallels to Sarah Palin's book are instructive. For a party that supposedly promotes personal responsibility, there is a lot of blame shifting involved for the people in it.
How can you hope to defeat me, if you're not wearing any pants?
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 8

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 30, '10, 5:53 am

Thoul wrote:This book seems to have a very defensive tone. Maybe it's just the way it is being presented in the article, but almost every quote provided is about defending herself or her husband from their critics. I can't imagine how such a book would make for enjoyable reading.

It always amazes me how different people can read the same article and get totally different perspectives from it. But, that's life, I guess. :wink:

Speaking for myself, I didn't feel a defensive tone from it, but thinking on it, I can sort of understand why it might sound that way. In my opinion, she wasn't being defensive but rather she was only trying to tell her opinion or version of the way things were, and perhaps trying to tell or explain the true turn of events, etc., as they occurred. In this, as in almost everything else, there is probably more than one side to every story and every side should be heard, including hers. I know I want to hear what she has to say as I've certainly heard enough of what the critics have to say from watching tv and other news, etc.

Also, I think the book will have more on her personal life and things that have happened to her before politics, etc., and I think that should be interesting to read. Mrs. Bush was always very well loved and respected while she was First Lady, sometimes even more so than her husband. Just my :2c: . :)

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 30, '10, 5:59 am

MrRoivas wrote:For a party that supposedly promotes personal responsibility, there is a lot of blame shifting involved for the people in it.

If one searches hard enough, Blame Shifting can probably be found in various places and in many situations, including politics, no matter what party or political affiliation there is.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby MrRoivas » Fri Apr 30, '10, 5:24 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:
If one searches hard enough, Blame Shifting can probably be found in various places and in many situations, including politics, no matter what party or political affiliation there is.

My apologies, but this statement misses the point. The point I was making is that when it comes to say, poor people, or women who get pregnant at age 19, many Republicans would say that it was a moral deficiency on the part of the person that got them in their situation, and that the solution is for them to take "personal responsibility." That is, unless its the Republican that makes the mistake. Then its really all quite complex and have to be taken into context. Too bad they don't extend the same courtesy to others.
How can you hope to defeat me, if you're not wearing any pants?
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 8

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 30, '10, 9:25 pm

MrRoivas wrote: this statement misses the point.

I think it hit the point right on target. Or maybe one of the points, if you prefer. It seemed that the point, or one of the points, which was hinted at seemed to be that Republicans blamed everything on everyone and everything else but themselves. I'm only saying that while they may indeed do that very thing, they are in no wise unique on that score as other parties and peoples do the very same thing also whenever it suits their interests, etc.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri Apr 30, '10, 10:44 pm

MrRoivas wrote:The point I was making is that when it comes to say, poor people, or women who get pregnant at age 19, many Republicans would say that it was a moral deficiency on the part of the person that got them in their situation, and that the solution is for them to take "personal responsibility." That is, unless its the Republican that makes the mistake. Then its really all quite complex and have to be taken into context. Too bad they don't extend the same courtesy to others.

I mean no offense in my reply, and it's just my two-cents, but I have to agree. Yes, it's a massive generalization, but usually true statement when you consider that many Republicans are also fundamentalists. From the "values voters" perspective, having children out of wedlock is severely frowned upon, let alone related shenanigans outside of marriage. :wink: A supportive example of this includes religious right leader James Dobson, who criticized former vice presidential daughter Mary Cheney, and her choice to have a child while unmarried (this being in a TIME magazine article).

This is very interesting, considering what Alan Colmes counters: (http://www.alan.com/2008/08/29/conserva ... ly-values/)

Again, just some food for thought and :twocents:
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Fri Apr 30, '10, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 30, '10, 11:01 pm

Rune_Walsh wrote:
I mean no offense in my reply, and it's just my two-cents, but I have to agree. Yes, it's a massive generalization

On that, I heartily agree!

And, it seems we've gotten far away from the actual topic of this thread somehow. It serves no purpose to " throw stones " or "blame" at anyone for any reason. I would hope we would all be better persons than that. 8)

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri Apr 30, '10, 11:17 pm

The discussion relates to the topic because it's politically-oriented. It is difficult to start a topic about a political book written by a politically-related person without some diverse feedback. ;) Thoul may or may not move it as a result.

I shared my opinion on the discussion at hand, agreed with MrRoivas, and even added some of my own evidence. Sure, as a proud liberal I am biased, but as a former conservative I'm not close-minded to all perspectives, and I am willing to consider any cogent argument on the contrary.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Return to Leapin' Library