Arcades!

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Arcades!

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 20, '07, 9:56 pm

I remember going to the arcade a playing lots of fun games when I was younger. I could spend a ton of quarters in that place. :lol: I mostly went for the side scrolling fighters like X-Men, Ninja Turtles, and Captain America and the Avengers. I always liked trying those planes/cars that would have you sit down and the whole box moves in response to the controls, too.

Does anyone else have good memories of going to the arcade, or just playing a cabinet game somewhere?
Last edited by Thoul on Mon Sep 24, '07, 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Arcades!

Postby Triumvirate » Sun Apr 22, '07, 9:07 pm

I still go to the arcade on occasion, there's one at the mall I live near. Of course, it's really gone down hill since way back when, but I still like to drop in and play some good shooters or fighting games.

I love the Time Crisis games, with the gun and pedal. Playing them on a console really isn't the same.
Triumvirate
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 1

Re: Arcades!

Postby Thoul » Sun Apr 22, '07, 10:22 pm

I know what you mean, consoles are just a totally different experience on so many games. I had controllers for the NES and SNES that were shaped like an arcade console, with a joystick and the big round buttons. I always enjoyed games more with them because it felt like I was playing at the arcade, just without the quarters. :lol:

I wish there were more special controllers like that these days.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Sep 22, '07, 12:40 am

I think the last time I was in an arcade was when Street Fighter 2 came out. I hated how they cranked the difficulty up so high to eat your quarters, so I stopped going!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 22, '07, 3:14 pm

S'funny. The other week, I went to the old arcade I used to visit when I was younger. They still have a Street Fighter 2 machine. :o They've reworked all their machines to take tokens instead of quarters now, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Sep 23, '07, 1:13 am

Thoul wrote:S'funny. The other week, I went to the old arcade I used to visit when I was younger. They still have a Street Fighter 2 machine. :o They've reworked all their machines to take tokens instead of quarters now, though.
Wow! I guess the arcade scene is dead! That game must be 15 years old by now.

I remember when my brother and a friend poured $20 into beating Area 51. What a waste. Those shooters were the worst, because you took damage no matter what, so you'd die constantly.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Sun Sep 23, '07, 11:34 pm

Those shooters were coin eaters, that's for sure. Pretty fun, though. :) Ah, the days of the good ol' light guns!

Yeah, I couldn't believe they had such an old game. They didn't have nearly as many machines as I remembered and most of what they did have was non-video. Like skeetball and stuff. There was this one thing were you have to kick a soccer ball attached to the machine by a cord.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 24, '07, 12:45 am

Hmph. Where's the tombstone smiley? Arcades used to have the cutting edge graphics, etc. What happened?
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Atolm » Mon Sep 24, '07, 2:33 am

Do not know what you folks are talking about! I have been to the arcade two times in the last two months and had a blast with friends. DDR, Parapara paradise are some of my favorites! I think simply as long as you are having a good time, that is what really matters. I do not even spend alot of money there, 20 bucks brings to me a round of golf and stuck in the arcade for about 4-5 hours. XD
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 24, '07, 9:00 pm

I think simply as long as you are having a good time, that is what really matters.

Yep, you're right about that. Having fun is the whole point. :D
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to General Gaming