Arcade Games popular again

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Arcade Games popular again

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Mar 3, '08, 9:56 pm

Anyone remember playing all those different types of games on the arcade machines? I do. They were fun. Well, it looks like those may be coming back, and you can have them at home, if you can afford it.

http://tech.msn.com/products/article.as ... &GT1=40000
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 3, '08, 11:32 pm

Interesting article. I wouldn't mind having one of those 80 in 1 machines myself, if it had a nice selection of games on it. I wouldn't have the first clue of where to put the thing, but I'd like to have one. There's just something nice about standing at a machine and plugging away at it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Mar 4, '08, 4:32 am

Wasn't there a controller that did this a bit ago, like 2 years or something, it had hundreds of games on it, but wore down to fast for us.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Mar 4, '08, 3:51 pm

Are you referring to the Atari Flashback, Sparky?

Getting back on topic, I'd love to have one of those in my house. One in particular is this one from Capcom. Had...somewhere between 50-100 of their older games. (I know there was more than 50, because I couldn't cycle through them all.) Sturdy machine, 2-player support, and it only costed a quarter a game. A rarity over here, where I'm rather used to paying 1 Pound (Roughly $2 with the exchange rates) for one game of The House of the Dead 3.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 5, '08, 3:50 am

Most of the arcades over here now charge about a dollar per play. Quarter machines are pretty rare these days, but those are the best kind.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Mar 5, '08, 4:05 am

No clue, it broke and got like fuzz all over the screen everytime we plugged it in.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby DrkTr14ce » Wed Mar 5, '08, 3:46 pm

That has to suck, Sparky.

To Thoul: This is why I am still heavily considering a plan to move to Japan. Not only do arcade games still exist in abundace, but they're recent. House of the Dead 4, anyone?

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 5, '08, 11:14 pm

Some recent games would be really nice. The last time I went to the arcade, last year, they still had a Street Fighter II machine out. I know it was popular, but come on... it's time to get a new game in there!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DrkTr14ce » Thu Mar 6, '08, 3:46 pm

Well, you can do what most Street Fighter fans are doing and pray your * off that they release the arcade version of SF IV in the U.S.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 6, '08, 5:23 pm

I was never that much of an SF fan, but there's got to be some other new game they could put in after nearly ten years.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to In the News