Mothers

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Mothers

Postby Thoul » Wed May 5, '10, 7:22 pm

Since Mother's Day is coming up very soon, which Phantasy Star main cast gals do you think would become mothers? Would they be good at it? The only woman we see that would qualify as a mother during the games' stories is Alys. Excluding PSIII of course, since the mothers there only have a couple of lines of dialogue at the most. Although Alys has no children of her own, she probably fills the role for Chaz, since she took him in at a young age.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Mothers

Postby Tanith » Wed May 5, '10, 9:03 pm

I guess Alis was a mother at some point, or at least offered up her DNA, since Rolf is her descendant. I can see her being a mother, too. If not for her love of family, she wouldn't have gone on her quest.

Alys would have made a great mom. She would have run a tight ship, but her firm-but-fair approach reminds me of my own mother. Despite being a tough-as-nails hunter, in the little time that she's in the game they hint at her various homemaking skills like cooking, cleaning, giving Chaz a schedule, checking on her neighbors, etc. While not necessarily "mom" skills, they point at her being someone who could settle down and raise a family. And, of course, taking Chaz under her wing suggests even further that she's cut out for being a mom.

Assuming any of the characters from PSII lived on, I bet Amy became a mom at some point. We don't really know much about her, but of course her nurturing personality is very motherly. There's also something about coming from a "normal home" that suggests stability in her life. I can't really see Anna or Shir as mothers. Anna has too much baggage and Shir just doesn't seem like the settling down type.

I guess I see Rika as a mom. She was made for the purpose of breeding, anyway, and then there are the pictures of her in the Compendium with Rui. I wonder if part of Seed's makeup of Rika was to give her a strong sense of nurturing and an inclination to produce offspring.

There's that Toyo Ozaki comic where all of the final generation characters are stuck together in a parallel universe and talk about how Mieu is like a mother to them. Crys mentions that sometimes Mieu is more like a mother to him than Sari (ouch), and Sean was not only raised by Mieu but even * by her (whoa). It's not hard to see that Ozaki really favored Mieu as a character. I personally don't care for how Mieu is portrayed as so highly ideal by Ozaki (it makes her character a bit flat), but she certainly seems to be great "mom" to all the heroes that come after Rhys.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby PSjunkie » Wed May 5, '10, 9:06 pm

There's no way I could see Alys as a mother, the only character that could suit as a mother imo is Amy and Shir, Shir wasn't an initial choice but if you see her picture, she portrays a quality that would in future seem like a great mother.
I always saw Mieu as having a very supportive mother type character, so to me should would be a great mum.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 30

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed May 5, '10, 10:57 pm

Alys seems like a working girl, and starting a family doesn't seem to be on her to-do list. I'd like to think that Alys and Rune were hot and heavy at one time, but who knows if she's dated since. She seems sought after, but is extremely picky and maybe disinterested in dating, overall.

Rika is definitely mother material. As Tanith says, she was meant to breed, and she and Chaz are one of the few canon relationships of the series.

Another character who'd make a great mom would have to be Saya (she's so great with kids as a schoolteacher and surely marries Hahn).
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Thu May 6, '10, 5:00 am

I can easily see both Alis and Rika as mums. Amy is a maybe for me she seems like the kind of woman who could have a family but at the same time I can still see her being a doctor over having kids. I suppose her working with children in the hospital could kind of be like having children I guess. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby SirJason » Thu May 6, '10, 5:42 pm

Mieu * Sean . . . . strange image for sure.

At any rate, I think Nei would have done well as a mother.

Maybe Wren and Demi had kids (in the sense of as androids, they'd just created little androids on the assemble line, not that I'd want to visualize two robots . . . errr . . . going at it!)

But as for the PS 3 ladies . . . . Sari would be an interesting choice as a mother (warrior type settlign down, etc).
SirJason
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 16

Postby Thoul » Thu May 6, '10, 5:52 pm

SirJason wrote:Maybe Wren and Demi had kids (in the sense of as androids, they'd just created little androids on the assemble line, not that I'd want to visualize two robots . . . errr . . . going at it!)

Demi was built by Wren, so she's essentially his daughter. This makes that a really creepy thought. :eyebrow:

Since you brought it up though, I could see Demi eventually wanting to create another android. There were certainly plenty of production facilities that could be used.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu May 6, '10, 8:56 pm

SirJason wrote:Maybe Wren and Demi had kids (in the sense of as androids, they'd just created little androids on the assemble line, not that I'd want to visualize two robots . . . errr . . . going at it!)

Not to be a party * but that wouldn't be possible, unless Demi had been created carrying a human woman's eggs, or she became a surrogate. And as for Wren, I don't see how he could ever be fertile considering the male reproductive system...

But, I can see the androids "serving" the humans in... a... way... :starry-eyed:

Um, what was the topic again? lol
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby H-Man » Mon Aug 2, '10, 4:45 pm

SirJason wrote:But as for the PS 3 ladies . . . . Sari would be an interesting choice as a mother (warrior type settlign down, etc).

Well, when Ayn decides to marry her, she does tell him that he isn't to go on anymore quests, so I can see the mother instinct in her.

Question: Do you think the couples of PSIII had more than one child that were probably hanging out in their bedrooms or playing in the yard when the quests started?
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 2, '10, 5:08 pm

Hm, interesting question. It seems likely that most of them would have more than one child, unless they really didn't care for their marriage partner beyond producing a royal heir. We never see many young children in the game at all, from what I remember. There could be some younger siblings running around in most of the generations.

Ayn and Thea would be an exception, since Sean was the only one they sent away from their home on the moon. If they had more children, those would have been sent away as well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Classic Series