Anyone else think Deadpool is overrated?

Sports, movies, music, TV, and other forms of fun.

Anyone else think Deadpool is overrated?

Postby MrKite » Sat Jun 4, '16, 3:19 am

I really don't get what all the fuss is about, and I find the majority of his fanbase really annoying. And I only say the majority and not the entire fan base, because I have friends who like him, and they're good people. But seriously, they act as if he is Jesus or something. And if you say ANYTHING negative about him, even something as innocent as you just don't care for him, they tell you that you should kill yourself or something. They also think his movie is something special just because it has an R rating. How does it being rated R merit it being so great? And they act as if it's the first R rated comic book film to be a success, and that's not true. There are other comic book based films that were rated R that have had their fair share of success and/or loyal followings like for example:

Fritz The Cat
Heavy Metal
Conan The Barbarian
The Punisher
Tank Girl
Blade
Blade II
Blade Trinity
Daredevil (Director's Cut Only)
Sin City
Road To Perdition
and The Watchmen

And there are also certain people who think that because of how successful his movie was that every single comic book based movie from now on should be rated R. They think there should be an R rated Captain America movie, an R rated Spider-Man movie, and an R rated Star Wars movie. That being said, does anyone else think he is overrated here besides me?
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Anyone else think Deadpool is overrated?

Postby Atlinsmere » Sat Jun 4, '16, 9:38 am

Don't get me wrong here, I love Deadpool. I love his character and thought the movie did him justice. If it wasn't for the R rating the movie probably would have flopped just due to the nature of the character himself.

And yes, I do agree with you in that aspect. I'm sure a lot of people had no idea who the character until he hit the theaters with his movie. I don't think all comic book movies need a R rated movie. Captain America, Spiderman, and even Star Wars are all good with their current ratings. I'm currently skeptical of the next Wolverine movie which is said to be rated R, a first for an X-Men movie.

All I'm saying is if you make a good comic book movie, it shouldn't matter what rating it is, so long as it fits the characters and setting. Don't go out and make an R rated movie just for the sake of making an R rated movie.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jun 10, '16, 12:08 am

I did not see the Deadpool movie, but I'm not very into him as a character. That kind of humor with his character just quickly gets old and falls flat for me, personally, but of course, humor is very subjective.

As you both allude to with the R rating, I personally now have a bit of a fear that more superhero and sci-fi movies might start going for an R rating just for the sake of the R rating. Deadpool would need it to do decently well, but just because it was R rated and was successful, doesn't mean everything in its genre needs it.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Fri Jun 10, '16, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby MrKite » Sat Jun 11, '16, 3:42 am

Wolf Bird wrote:I did not see the Deadpool movie, but I'm not very into him as a character. That kind of humor with his character just quickly gets old and falls flat for me, personally, but of course, humor is very subjective.

As you both allude to with the R rating, I personally now have a bit of a fear that more superhero and sci-fi movies might start going for an R rating just for the sake of the R rating. Deadpool would need it to do decently well, but just because it was R rated and was successful, doesn't mean everything in its genre needs it.

That's what I am saying
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jun 11, '16, 4:54 pm

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't like the R rating for movies such as this. I think it leaves a lot of younger fans out of seeing it because of such a rating. Movies can be made, and very good movies at that, without such a rating, imo.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 13, '16, 4:36 am

So we streamed this tonight. It wasn't a BAD movie, far from it, but also not exactly worth all the hype it got. Personally, the humor got old very fast, with pop culture references and crude jokes basically every few seconds. That humor has a short shelf life for me. Deadpool as a character just came off as obnoxious more than anything else very quickly, with that arrogant full-of-himself "bro" attitude that I find nothing appealing about. Also I hated the ending. I really did.

The action and set pieces were alright, but like the humor, the violence was graphically over-the-top just because it could be and by the end, was just off-putting for me and had lost any meaning or impact other than revulsion.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Mon Jun 13, '16, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Entertainment