Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, '07, 8:57 pm 
Oh, good. I like it. I'm into stage four of Advanced mode currently with my elf.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, '07, 4:33 am 
Quote:Thoul, yes, Shinig Force 3 was released in three parts and only first part was translated in English. But there is group of people that translate another two parts. They nearly completed Scenario 2.

Oh, really? I'll have to look around and see if I can find that translation. Hopefully they'll continue and translate it all. Thanks for the tip. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, '07, 11:11 am 
Thoul, maybe this article can help you http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/news ... &story=330

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, '07, 6:44 pm 
Thanks for the link, it looks interesting. I hadn't been to Shining Force Central in ages.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, '14, 10:12 pm 
I think I know what the answer will be if I ask this here, but anyway...

I have the Sega Genesis Collection for my PSP. That is how I got into Phantasy Star (II and III, have yet to play IV, but it made me buy Portable).

Is it worth it to buy Sonic's Collection on the PS3 so I can play the Shining series? I think it also has the first Phantasy Star. I am tempted to do it, but many games are already in the Genesis Collection.

Would you buy it, even so?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, '14, 1:29 am 
That collection has a ton of fantastic Genesis games that you should play eventually anyway, so I say you should get it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, '14, 2:13 am 
Wow, a Shining Force topic! I played through those games almost as often as I played through PS games. Almost.

My personal opinion:

1. Shining in the Darkness: Excellent presentation, good ideas, well executed, a bit repetitive. Loved it.
  2. Shining Force 1: Awesome design, precursor to about every other tactics game ever, well done, excellent game overall.
  3. Shining Force 2: Upgrade. Better combat system, longer, fleshier but the story is a bit strange and borderline childish.
  4. Shining Force CD: Even better than SF1 and 2 gameplay wise, but even more childish than SF2, the story was very meh.
  5. Shining the Holy Ark: Dungeon crawler like SitD, very, very well done, excellent game, incredibly fun. Graphics are early 3D, terrible to look at.
  6. Shining Wisdom: Shining's take on Zelda except, is sucked. The controls and gameplay will make you cry tears of sadness and frustration.
  7. Shining Force 3 scenario 1: Well made, fun to play, great music but the few voice samples will make you doubt your own existence and will make you want to fix your ears with corkscrews.
  8. SF3 Scenario 2 and 3, I have not played becaused I could not be bothered with translating the japanese.
  9. I have not significantly played the "newer" Shining games as most of them sounded downright unpleasant to me.

There you go. Play SitD, SF1, SF2, and StHA at least once, they are worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, '14, 10:51 am 
I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say that SF1s combat >SF2s.

In SF1, just about every character (barring the obvious joke one) has a use and is useful the moment they join your party. It felt like the designers took care into building the game around making each character fun to use in some way.

SF2, it just seems like there's no rhyme or reason in terms of mechanics as to why characters join you. They don't flow well within the game and it makes SF2 feel a lot more disjointed as a result. It's still a pretty solid game but I'll always prefer SF1 for those reasons.

That and SF1 doesn't have collecting Mithril. Screw doing that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, '14, 1:52 pm 
I feel terrible for not having played any of the Shining Force games. I really want to, it's just that the originals are getting kind of pricy and I'm undecided about whether to get them on a collection (I don't have a PS3, so I don't have that option with that one collection).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, '14, 7:15 pm 
Bragatyr wrote:I feel terrible for not having played any of the Shining Force games. I really want to, it's just that the originals are getting kind of pricy and I'm undecided about whether to get them on a collection (I don't have a PS3, so I don't have that option with that one collection).

You can always try steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71120/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71160/

Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next