Living In A Castle

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Living In A Castle

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 8, '09, 11:54 pm

Do you think you would like to live in a castle? Have you ever been in a real castle? What would your dream castle look like?

I was reading this article on actor Nicholas Cage selling his castle due to the economic hard times, and it got me to thinking about Castles. About how it would be to actually live in a real Castle. You see them in movies and read about them in books, and possibly dream of it, but how would it actually be to live in one every day, I wonder.

What about you? Comments or Opinions?

Oh, and just in case you are feeling bad because Nicholas Cage is selling his castle, guess what? He has another Castle also. :starry-eyed:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/0 ... 83989.html
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Living In A Castle

Postby Thoul » Thu Apr 9, '09, 12:29 am

When I was a little kid, I wanted to live in a castle. Now, however, I realize that it would be terribly drafty and probably lack a decent number of electrical outlets, if there was any electricity at all. I don't think I would like it very much.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Thu Apr 9, '09, 8:56 am

Personally I would not like to live in a castle. But visiting one would be interesting. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby LordShibas » Thu Apr 9, '09, 1:11 pm

:laugh_lucca: Is Nicholas Cage expecting to get sympathy for this? "Life's tough, I have to sell my castle, wahhh."
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Thu Apr 9, '09, 1:25 pm

I would love to have a Castle as a summer home. Due to the lack of electricity it wouldn't be prudent to live in year round. Unless I built one from scratch to "modernize" it some, I wouldn't want to add anything to a Castle that already existed.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lemina » Thu Apr 9, '09, 6:51 pm

Kinda like the others mentioned, unless the castle had some modernization--it wouldn't be too comfortable to live in for too long. It would be a charming place to stay in for a vacation, however~

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 9, '09, 9:14 pm

Well, I find it hard to image a castle still around today that probably hasn't been modernized to some degree, or else nobody would probably be living there.

I think the castle's one would find today would be very different from castle's found say over 100 years ago, or back in the day of dungeons, dragons, etc.

Sure, those unmodernized ones would be fun to "visit" for awhile, but a person's home is their "castle" so you would want to fix it up where you could be comfortable and do things. I mean, you gotta play video games and watch your favorite TV episode and take a hot bath and have a comfortable bed, and cook your favorite meal or snack in the microwave or oven, etc. :wink: Imagine how things may have been different back then regarding all these things. Just thinking about it makes me appreciate electricity and all the modern conveniences a whole lot more.

But, hey, yeah, I'd love to have a castle. I'd fix that thing up will all new stuff or what I could and still retain the charm and allure of the castle doing it. :happy_marle:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 9, '09, 9:20 pm

LordShibas wrote::laugh_lucca: Is Nicholas Cage expecting to get sympathy for this? "Life's tough, I have to sell my castle, wahhh."

Interesting statement. I really don't know.

I'm happy the man has worked and earned enough to buy some things that he wants, or wanted at one time. I wish that held true for everyone to the same degree (like castles and stuff, I mean). But believe me, I am not weeping or feeling any sympathy for anyone because they have to get rid of their castle, and at the same time they still have another one. :yaknow:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 6:23 am

I would love to live in a castle but I think I'd only use it in spring and summer. I've never been to a real castle but I would have to say I would model mine after Wallachia Castle were Vlad Tepes was said to live for some time. I also wonder how cold they get in fall and winter.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:11 am

Yes, a modernized castle complete with all the modern ammenties such as laser turrets, robotic guards, tower top helicopter landing pad, electrified moat, remote controlled draw bridge, and... indoor plumbing.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Next

Return to Casual Conversation