Is there an easy way to beat the damn octopus boss?

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Is there an easy way to beat the damn octopus boss?

Postby MrKite » Tue Jan 12, '10, 8:10 pm

I've finally gotten to play PS Zero, and this first boss, an Octopus is really making me mad, because he's a total cheap shot. The first boss in the game should NOT be this difficult. Plus, everytime you get defeated in battle and you have to go back to the city, it doesn't even refill your health! And I don't know where to go to get it refilled except for using monomates. I don't see an inn or anything. And I'm following everything the walkthrough in the strategy guide says, even waiting 'til I level up to level 5, and I'm still getting my butt whipped. I'm playing as a Numan by the way. ISN'T THERE AN EASY WAY TO BEAT THIS DAMN BOSS? I tried Daggers, and a "Clear Saber" to beat him. Nothing. Still getting my butt kicked.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Is there an easy way to beat the damn octopus boss?

Postby Abominae » Tue Jan 12, '10, 9:05 pm

The Ocotopus boss is really quite simple.

His first assault consists of three kinds of attacks:
1) Tentacle crush - A tentacle will rise above your character and follow you for about 4-5 seconds before coming down dealing a good chunk of damage. Avoid this by running in one direction. It should trail just slightly behind you, but sometimes it'll stay right on top of you.

2) Tentacle whirl - Octopus twirls it's tentacles about very fast dealing an average amount of damage per hit, although it will hit you about 3-4 times with the last one dealing critical damage (as a numan, it may only hit you about 2-3 times due to your higher evasion rate). You should keep your health at about 2/3rds full if you expect to survive. If it kills you with 3/4ths health, go level some more. I don't know how to predict this, but I believe if you can find out, going to the outer edge of the battle ground should put you out of range.

3) Suck me, beautiful - Octopus creates a vacuum with it's mouth drawing vast amounts of pressure inward. While your characters won't be eaten, it does give it a good chance to hit you with it's spitting attack which will hit you about 3-4 times dealing slightly above damage with each hit. Odds are, if you're not at full health, it will kill you. You can predict this by watching it approach the opposite end of it's pool. You will have the time it's drawing air into itself plus about 2-3 seconds to get as close to it as possible (go around the pool and approach it's exposed head, you can get a few extra hits in this way as well.

Round two, FIGHT!

1) The octopus uses it's remaining 4 tentacles in this battle, with two of them being the forefront tentacles (I don't know the name, but I know they have a different name when referring to actual octopus') which can deal harsh amounts of damage. The good thing about this battle is that if you can survive it's critical hits, as long as you have a good stock of monomates/resta w/ monofluids, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Just keep bashing in that octopus face and you will eventually win. Keep your health high.

(if you're still having trouble, let me know. This is the hardest boss, for me, next to... err... nevermind. :dog_laugh:
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 27

Postby MrKite » Tue Jan 12, '10, 11:08 pm

What's the best weapon to use?
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Postby Abominae » Wed Jan 13, '10, 6:43 pm

If you're hurting for defense, a shield might be preferable, but odds are it'll draw out the fight longer than you can last. A Double-Saber with good attack (see monogrinders) would be preferable if you have really good accuracy. If not, go with a spear or another high ATP weapon. But remember, never sacrifice too much ATA for ATP. You have to be able to hit them for those hits to matter.
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Postby MrKite » Mon Jan 18, '10, 5:25 am

I've gotten past the octopus, but now I'm having trouble getting past the damn dragon in the next quest.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Jan 19, '10, 7:03 am

When I took on the dragon. I chose Long range. But when I had my melee character. I made sure I carried lots of healing. Roll out of te way of his one attack on the ground, I think it it a ring around him (I need to play the game again), run and dodge to the side of his fire attacks, and keep moving when he flys in the air, zipping across the field. you see his direction, roll to the immediate left or right of him look at my crappy diagram for reference..
dragon - X
You - O

O <=X
||
\/

You understand?
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby MrKite » Thu Jan 21, '10, 1:48 am

How do I use long range?

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Jan 21, '10, 4:40 am

It would include guns and such. If you get a gunblade, hold L(?) then push the attack button.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Abominae » Thu Jan 21, '10, 9:53 pm

I just thought I'd come and let you know that if you're having this much trouble with the dragon... you probably won't be the boss... I beat the dragon on the first play thru but the end-boss's gave me a nightmare of a time.
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Lucas » Tue Feb 23, '10, 12:54 am

I found the Octopus to be easy but I do have a CAST and from what I know they have the highest HP of all the races in this game. I was also equipped with Ein Ripper as my weapon so I think I was dealing decent damage out as well :wink: . I actually found the three Hildegao at the end of the first story mission harder than the Octopus :blank: . But maybe that’s just me. My CAST is currently level 10.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Phantasy Star General