An RMXP Tutorial Thread

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

An RMXP Tutorial Thread

Postby vontrapp » Fri Sep 10, '10, 7:50 am

Hi,

Today, I thought it might be a nice idea to put together a small post on getting together all the stuff you might need to get RPG Maker XP up and running on your PC.

Since Enterbrain the producing company do not support this product on systems beyond Windows XP, or even on Linux systems I thought I might try to help anyone having troubles with running Fan Games from this forum.

I will do my best to try and answer any questions that may crop up and would appreciate any other posters experiencences with making life easier.

First the basic requirements.

1. I do not recommend or support any "Hacked Versions" such as Postality Knights copy of RMXP as these can have major Script Incompatibilities and may get you flamed for asking for support in other communities. The Free Trial is great to test it all out and play fan games even past the trial expiration.

2. The Latest Version of RMXP is 1.04 and is available here download.cnet.com/RPG-Maker-XP/3000-753 ... 37117.html

3. Next you will need the RMXP RTP here http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download-rtp.html (or Run Time Package, this includes rgss102e.dll and all the base packages so they do not need to be included with any fan game downloads.)

Installation Tips.

1. If Running Windows 2000/XP you should have no problem Installing these packages if you have Administrator rights on your system (XP Home, This you will already have if you are running from the first account on the PC. If not Right click the exe and choose Run as Administrator.)

2. If Running Windows Vista/7 you should Right Click and "Run as Administrator". Once Installed you will need to Right Click the Desktop or Start Menu Icon, choose "Properties" Then Choose "Compatibility" Select the following "Run as Administrator" and Drop Down to "Windows XP Service Pack 3".

3. If Running Linux and you feel fairly proficient pick up a fully updated version of WINE and give it a try. If not I will give a post just to Linux later in another post so that I can make sure I have good up to date links.

Okay this should be enough to get you started with RMXP.

Remember to read through any details that a person will give about their fan games as they may include font downloads that you may need.

If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to post but always remember the forum rules ;)
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Re: An RMXP Tutorial Thread

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Sep 10, '10, 5:13 pm

Great Idea von. I'm sure this will help people out a lot. As for me, I've had no problems with RMXP but I can offer my experience to the plate. =D
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby vontrapp » Sun Sep 12, '10, 2:03 pm

Okay, for those that are interested here is a quickie tutorial for Ubuntu.

Why Ubuntu?

1. I use it
2. Most of the details that apply to Ubuntu are fairly easy to work out for other versions of Linux.

WINE

Handy little application here for Linux users who really desperately want to use Windows applications on Linux, However take note This works well most of the time BUT NOT all of the time.

First we need to get a decent fully up to date version of WINE that isnt provided in a standard repository.

1. http://www.winehq.org/download/deb Go here and follow the instructions carefully reading all the steps first.

2. You can now choose to run the various exe's as in the Windows instructions by using a Right Click and choose to Open With WINE.

WINE Luckily runs as Windows 2000/XP Compatibilty by default and as there are no complex 3D graphics to worry about no tweaking should be necessary.

Once again should you have any further questions, please feel free to ask and I will endevour to answer them for you :)
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 19, '10, 8:46 pm

Seeing as this is a tutorial, I think it merits a sticky. A helpful topic like this should not be lost among all the fan game projects. Thank you for creating the topic, vontrapp! :D
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 15, '10, 5:50 pm

Wow, I would have no idea how to do all that stuff.

vontrapp, thanks for the tips! :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More