An odd little glitch

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

An odd little glitch

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 21, '08, 5:16 pm

Here's a weird little glitch I noticed in PSIV lately. There's an item sold on Dezo, in Meese IIRC, called the Tornado Dagger. In shops and party inventory, it's listed as TORNDAGGER. If you use it as an item in battle though, it comes up as ORNDAGGER.

It's just a weird little typo, but I thought it was interesting. It means the item names must be listed twice in the game's code - once for shops and under a different listing for battles.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Feb 21, '08, 10:49 pm

I always liked to collect the little spell items. Tornado Dagger, Fire claw, phsyco wand, dream rod, even the plain wooden staff. Never noticed it, I'll have to go look at that when I get there.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby hugues » Fri Feb 22, '08, 1:08 am

It's either that or a misplaced text pointer (there's a similar glitch in PSII where part of Lutz' dialog appears when talking to a villager in Paseo).
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby newsblade » Fri Feb 22, '08, 1:10 am

Fireclaw: A mixture of Flamesword and thunderclaw. There was also the genocyde claw with "diem", shadowblade with "death" and elsydeon with "holy word".
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Feb 22, '08, 3:56 pm

this is interesting Thoul. A glitch indeed I suppose. Guess it goes in my glitch FAQ now as soon as I decide to update it (which will probably be sometime I have some free time).
While I am at it. If anyone has some free time, mind checking out some of the glitches for me to prove them correct. I'd do it but I haven't had much time as of recent due to school and work and other things.
THank-you THoul and whoever decides to try out some of the discovered glitches.

~Chris
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 22, '08, 8:41 pm

hugues wrote:It's either that or a misplaced text pointer

I didn't even think of that. It would make a lot more sense than a second list of all the items. Good call!

Trenzer wrote:While I am at it. If anyone has some free time, mind checking out some of the glitches for me to prove them correct.

I might try a few of them. I'll have to look at the FAQ again and see what I can get at right now, but I should be coming up on the Reshel glitch soon at least.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Phantasy Star IV