No wonder Nintendo's online services are lacking

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

No wonder Nintendo's online services are lacking

Postby S4Blade » Sun Jan 12, '14, 11:22 pm

Source: http://kotaku.com/its-hard-to-make-a-ga ... Socialflow

*Link fixed*

In this article, a dev talks about how dealing with Nintendo is very hard for the online portions of their games, since they do not get references from Xbox Live or PSN, because they have never used them, ever.

I understand that Nintendo kind of does their own thing these days, but shouldn't "knowing what the competition is doing" be kind of important?
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon Jan 13, '14, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: No wonder Nintendo's online services are lacking

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 12, '14, 11:54 pm

It's funny because, when I click on the link there is this :
"404 / Tag not found" :rofl: Maybe it's sponsored by Nintendo ? ^^
It's true that Nintendo has always been very late concering online features and will always be IMHO.
What can they do to counter this matter of fact ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Mon Jan 13, '14, 12:20 am

I don't think this is a case of "being late concerning online features" this just borders on being ignorant, and very inconsiderate to their third party devs. I'm starting to see why third party devs are not crazy about working with them.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby S4Blade » Mon Jan 13, '14, 1:55 am

Okay, that original article is actually an excerpt from this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... side-story

It's a long read, but if half of this stuff is true, Nintendo really needs to get it together with the Wii U.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 16, '14, 9:12 am

Well, having read that article I see that Nintendo still hasn't learned their lesson from the Nintendo 64. They need to learn to innovate while also taking advantage of existing technologies. The N64 suffered because it lacked a CD drive. The Wii suffered because it lacked technical power to keep up with the competition - not as badly as the N64, but it still could have been more successful with stronger components. Now they're repeating that with the Wii U.

Not checking out the competition is just silly for a company like this. How do they know they're innovating or reinventing the wheel if they don't know what the competition has done? Back when Nintendo was in their heyday with the NES, they kept an eye on Sega. There's a book about the making of Super Mario 3 that shows Megadrive games sitting on one of the developers' shelves (or maybe it was a desk, I don't recall). Nintendo really has fallen a long way if they embrace a "stick your head in the sand" philosophy like this now.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby S4Blade » Wed Jul 16, '14, 10:40 pm

Their success in the Wii generation made them arrogant, and now they are paying for their arrogance. Gamers have more choices now, and are more informed than ever on the products that they can purchase. The days of Nintendo being able to slip shovelware under the radar are over. They need to come up with some new strategies or they are going to have serious problems in the future.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jul 17, '14, 3:06 am

Appealing to the casual gamer just isn't going to do it anymore with the proliferation of tablet and phone games. I cannot tell you how many people I see playing Candy Crush or something like that on their phones and iPads when I'm on a bus or subway, and I only see the occasional DS, Vita or PSP. They need to appeal to the core gaming audience again, and appeal to more than just their hardcore fans. They need to get on new fans. Ignoring the competition…um…yeah…that's going to hurt them. Bigtime.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Rylen » Thu Jul 17, '14, 3:13 am

I see Nintendo becoming what Sega became. A game only developer and out of the hardware business.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 17, '14, 8:12 pm

I think that's the direction they are headed in if they don't turn around on policies like these. They can still reverse this and regain confidence if they don't bomb out completely with the Wii U or next console. But first they have to realize that they have a problem and identify that problem, which I'm not sure they can or will do.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rylen » Thu Jul 17, '14, 8:53 pm

Company that large won't realize their is a problem till they are being liquidated in a bankruptcy sale.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Return to In the News