Alys and Alis

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Alys and Alis

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 1, '07, 1:41 am

This seems to be a popular idea among some people: is there a connection between Alys and Alis? Aside from the obvious name similarity, do you think they have any other ties to one another?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Alys and Alis

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Aug 1, '07, 3:28 am

No, I don't. But when the game was in development I thought that they'd resurrected Alis from a screenshot of Alys. :hyper: Perhaps it's just a popular name on Motavia. :)
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Lamanai » Wed Aug 1, '07, 4:31 am

One of my least favorite fan theories... I'm of the opinion that the only thing Alys and Alis have in common is brown hair. =P Besides, if Alys were Alis, wouldn't they both use swords and/or slashers? :eyebrow:
Lamanai
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Celeith » Wed Aug 1, '07, 5:07 am

heh this question pops up everywhere lol.. i just think it was a translation error cuz Alys' japanese name is Lyla while Alis is Alisa so seeing as they only took out 1 letter from Alis' name, its probably just a translation error, besides, it would make no sence for alis to live for 2000 years, didnt noah only make it 1000 yrs from 1-2 cuz of that chryosleep thing, or was that a different person all together
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Tsunami » Wed Aug 1, '07, 5:49 pm

Kaloes wrote:heh this question pops up everywhere lol.. i just think it was a translation error cuz Alys' japanese name is Lyla while Alis is Alisa so seeing as they only took out 1 letter from Alis' name, its probably just a translation error, besides, it would make no sence for alis to live for 2000 years, didnt noah only make it 1000 yrs from 1-2 cuz of that chryosleep thing, or was that a different person all together

Have to agree with Kaloes. :yes: Besides, any connection idea between Alis and Alys doesn't seem right. As Lamanai said, the only thing they have in common is hair color...and perhaps a sense of justice.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Wed Aug 1, '07, 7:50 pm

I always thought it would be more likely that Chaz would be related to Alis. More directly, I thought he would be related to Rolf; they look kind of similar and Chaz does wear what is basically a red version of Rolf's uniform.

didnt noah only make it 1000 yrs from 1-2 cuz of that chryosleep thing, or was that a different person all together

Right. Well, we really don't know exactly how long Noah lived. It was at least 1,000 years because of the cryosleep, and less than 2,000 since he's not around for PS4, but we don't know exactly how long he lived or why he stopped using the cryosleep.

They could have brought Alis back as a living character if they had wanted. She used cryosleep in Phantasy Star Gaiden, so they could have extended her lifetime to PS4.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 1, '07, 11:13 pm

I wonder how they would have brought her back in the "Return of Alis" game. What do you think, cryo sleep or resurrection?

The Komrade wrote:Perhaps it's just a popular name on Motavia. :)

That makes sense; I imagine a lot of babies were named after the legendary heroine.

Lamanai wrote:One of my least favorite fan theories... I'm of the opinion that the only thing Alys and Alis have in common is brown hair. =P Besides, if Alys were Alis, wouldn't they both use swords and/or slashers? :eyebrow:

A good point! I like the brown hair line. :lol:

I once saw someone present the idea that Alys does know how to use a sword, even though she doesn't equip them in the game. They said something about her teaching Chaz to use one.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Sat Aug 30, '08, 1:19 pm

I would say it was just a translation thing. I doubt sega had anything serious meant by naming the two quite similar. They both have diiferent weapon choices, and personalities. Alis is more gental and Alys is more energetic. But they do both have brown hair :lol:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Lemina » Sat Aug 30, '08, 1:24 pm

Thoul wrote:
The Komrade wrote:Perhaps it's just a popular name on Motavia. :)

That makes sense; I imagine a lot of babies were named after the legendary heroine.

See, that's what I was thinking. Because Alis isn't just some no one, it's very likely that people might name their kids after her.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Srijita » Sat Aug 30, '08, 1:47 pm

Lemina wrote:See, that's what I was thinking. Because Alis isn't just some no one, it's very likely that people might name their kids after her.

[face=Times New Roman]That makes a great deal of sense, although I can't work out why Sega's American translators changed her name from "Lyla" to "Alys" in the first place. I accept that names which were longer than four letters had to be altered, but that was not an issue here. Similarly, why change "Lutz" to "Noah", given his paramount importance in the storyline, and the risk of confusion with the spaceship "Noah" in PS2? <shrug>

Regarding a link between Alys Brangwin and Alis Landale, I suspect this idea may have evolved for an entirely different reason, unrelated to the similarity in names. When Chaz first places his hands on Elsydeon, he hears Alis's voice and various scenes play out before him. One of the visions in that sequence is of Alis Landale standing next to Alys Brangwin and Nei.

But why place the three women together like that? There is a similarity between Alys Brangwin and Nei, inasmuch as both lost their lives prematurely during the course of their quest as Protectors. However, this is not true of Alis Landale, who (I believe) led a happy and prosperous life after defeating Lassic and Dark Force. It may just be pure coincidence that they were portrayed together in that scene, but it has prompted speculation that the three women are somehow "spiritually" linked. Very different personalities, which makes me doubt it, but still conceivably possible.

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Next

Return to Classic Series