Cause of the Dark

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Cause of the Dark

Cause of the Dark

View Gallery Page

Cause of the Dark

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Feb 25, '14, 7:00 pm

I always wanted to try to draw Dark Force, so I finally did, since I was doing his theme song. I think his PS III appearance is probably his best look. He is clearly very proud of his smile, too. He seems like a pretty likeable guy for being the embodiment of evil and everything.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Re: Cause of the Dark

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Feb 25, '14, 8:50 pm

Cool! The PSIII incarnation of Dark Force did look a teensy bit goofy with that smile, but I like how you toned it down here. The level of detail you included is amazing.

I'll be sure to check out the song later!
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby myau56 » Tue Feb 25, '14, 9:08 pm

EXCELLENT ! This drawing is truly great :) You are very gifted, dear Bragatyr ! :clap:
And you are right : like I've said before, this Dark Force, from PSIII, is the best from all the Phantasy Stars ! Best look it's sure ! (but the firest one isn't far enough !).

Congratulations ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Feb 25, '14, 11:23 pm

Thank you so much, augmentedfourth and myau! I totally agree with you, myau, the PS III Dark Force is really something else. The first one was definitely amazing, but the sprite work on PS III's was just out of this world. I mean, nothing against PS III, but the rest of the sprites in the game were often really horrible, and then all of a sudden there's this ultra-detailed, mind-blowing sprite for the final boss that pretty much blows away most anything else not only in the game but in the rest of 16-bit history.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Feb 26, '14, 12:25 am

Excellent artwork and detail!! :clap: His smile may look a bit "friendly" but to me his eyes speak otherwise to some extent. Very well done!! I especially like those faces/images on either side of him close to his head. Totally awesome. :)
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Feb 26, '14, 3:23 am

Thank you, Silver Surfer! I thought very much the same thing about the actual expression he has in the game, I mean, he's technically smiling, but it's such a menacing expression. They did such a great job on that sprite. The funny thing to me is that his eyes are even wide open, his pupils look pretty normal, but the whole effect is just horrific, somehow. I couldn't figure out how they did that, I kept trying to imitate it, and I couldn't get it right, so I just went ahead and tried to make him look more overtly menacing. But it's definitely not possible to beat the way they did it in the game, he just looks so amazing there.

I like the way those little heads came out, too, kind of Gothic in feel, like gargoyles or something. I love little details like that, that's the only kind of thing I'm really comfortable drawing, ha ha, anything with too much empty space or anything "normal" is almost impossible to me.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Thu Feb 27, '14, 8:42 pm

A menacing smile ! it's the best expression I've found to describe this really mischievous smile :D
You're right.. this menacing expression is so great and that is why I love so much this Dark Force version ! (even if the first one is great too). Gargoyles ? Like in Notre Dame in Paris ? Yes, I was thionking about the same here.
This is truly a great hommage here ! Thanks again Bragatyr :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Feb 28, '14, 4:33 pm

This kind of reminds me of the villain in Saints Row IV. Nicely done, Bragatyr!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Feb 28, '14, 5:00 pm

Thank you!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Icecypher » Sun Sep 14, '14, 3:54 am

Smiles are not always pretty. Just look at Jack Nicholson on The Shining (or just about anything he has done).

I have not finished any PS game so I do not have any favorite, but this one you drew looks menacing and cool.

The most I have fought are two different Dulk Fakis in Portable, if they are "related" at all.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Next

Return to Artwork