All that is Star Trek

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Is Star Trek better than Star Wars?

Yes, Star Trek is better.
50%
No, Star Wars is better.
17%
I like them both.
No votes
I don't like picking sides.
33%

Total votes : 6

All that is Star Trek

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 10, '07, 5:19 am

Step 1. Getting down

Alright. If theres one thing I'm more agressive about than Phantasy Star, it's Star Trek. Let's have ourselves a nice heated debate, shall we?

Rules:
1. Star Trek doesnt need a civil war. No saying "TNG sucks" or anything to that nature.
2. Star Trek is and always will be better than Star Wars.
3. Let's keep the language clean.

Ready? GO!

The best Star Trek series of all time? Definatly TNG. Why? Let's look at some of the beloved moments that it has to offer.
Worfs prowess with a Bat'leth rivals Gryzs' prowess with an axe. Not only does this Klingon give the bridge of the NCC-USS-Enterprise-D a strang alien, but until TNG all the Klingons were villians.
Data. Were Worf takes on the role of the Alien, data tackles the role of the logic monger. In his journey to become more and more human, Data finds himself at the end of many jokes and fails to notice.
Riker. Commander Thomas Riker... oh where would we be without you? With strength and skill that rivals most, Riker has served with Klingons and easily dispatched two of them in a single episode! Quick thinking and constatly looking after his ship and captain, Riker is among the greatest characters of all time.

WARNING! The following words may be offensive to Star Wars fans. View at your own risk.
You have been warned.

Step 2. Getting Bloody

Star Trek V.S Star wars
Why does Star Wars FAIL? Here is a list of reasons why.

1. It's ships sheilds aren't plausable.
2. It doesn't apply real-life theories to it's technology
3. A phaser shoots a beam at the speed of light. Though some people would argue that a Jedi Master could deflect a Phaser Blast, the muscles in your wrist and arms are physicaly unable to move fast enough to react to a blast being fired at such a high speed.
4. A single Borg drone, when introduced to the Death Star, could assimilate several people before being destroyed. Each drone assimilites more people before they die and so on. In a matter of hours before the entire structure/ship is assimilated.
5. If by some chance the Borg don't destroy the death star, a single Species 2489 could do so in a matter of hours without the aid of anyone. A single Bioship pioleted by a Species 2489 could eradicate all defense and weapon systems on the Death Star, leaving the crippled vessel defensless to the onslaught that would follow.
6. Federation weapon systems far surpass anything that the Star Wars universe can dish out.
7. Ablitave armor plating that comes standard on every Star Trek starship is 100% resistant to lasers. Seeing as how lasers are the main weapon on most Star Wars ships, this leaves Star Trek with a sizable advantage.
8. We have Klingons
9. We have better Captains
10. WE ARE STAR TREK!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Heikabuchi on Sat Nov 17, '07, 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Nov 10, '07, 9:13 am

I've never really like Star Trek, the characters seem too strange to me.I have gotten alot of my writting from StarWars, but seeing as how I don't watch Star Trek, I can't really say its better.

Worfs prowess with a Bat'leth rivals Gryzs' prowess with an axe. Not only does this Klingon give the bridge of the NCC-USS-Enterprise-D a strang alien, but until TNG all the Klingons were villians.
Data. Were Worf takes on the role of the Alien, data tackles the role of the logic monger. In his journey to become more and more human, Data finds himself at the end of many jokes and fails to notice.

I hardly understood a word.XD
I see Gryz in there though? I think it may be coincidence though. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 10, '07, 10:30 am

SparkyIII wrote:I've never really like Star Trek, the characters seem too strange to me.I have gotten alot of my writting from StarWars, but seeing as how I don't watch Star Trek, I can't really say its better

Shun the non beliver! Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!! Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun..NUH!
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Neithird » Sat Nov 10, '07, 5:03 pm

I like both, but they really don't mix well. The technology has totally different bases and tracks of development. It doesn't help that Star Wars has always focused on the story, but Star Trek has covered a lot more ground in explaining the technology and how it works.

3. A phaser shoots a beam at the speed of light. Though some people would argue that a Jedi Master could deflect a Phaser Blast, the muscles in your wrist and arms are physicaly unable to move fast enough to react to a blast being fired at such a high speed.

Jedi aren't exactly normal people, though. Look at Yoda and they way that old guy could jump around moving the force. In his prime, he might be able to deflect a phaser if he was prepared for it.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Nov 10, '07, 8:00 pm

I love both Stark Trek and Star Wars, however, I voted for and do believe that Star Trek is the better of the two.

As for all the various different Star Trek series, I like the original better than any of the others. I like TNG, Deep Space 9, Voyager, and all of them, except I did not watch "Enterprise" and the one with Kevin Sorbo as Captain very much at all.

As well as being the original front runner and starting the whole "Star Trek" craze in the first place, this series brought us unforgettable and loveable characters (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Chekov, Scotty, Sulu, etc.) plus interesting, original, spacy, and one of a kind for it's time period, shows. It brought us the Klingons and other creatures to "war" with and become victorious over, all the while trying to understand them and search for peace. It brought us beautiful ladies with romance for the Star Trek crew, (remember the green painted woman, lol). It brought us new technology to admire and dream of (phasers, warps, transporters, etc.)

It was the first and the Mother of all the other Star Trek "babies" born. The others would never have been conceived if this first one were not so popular with the fans that even 20 years after it's cancellation it came back to spawn big screen movies and follow up series, among other things. Not to mention the toys and other business ventures began due to Star Trek and it's origins. The fans loved it, even when others gave it up and canceled it. Star Trek would not die! And, it lives today as much or moreso than it did on that magical night of it's first premiere show way back in the 1960's. :clap:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Nov 10, '07, 8:38 pm

Where in star wars did it say this? I wouldn't have been paying attention.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 10, '07, 8:50 pm

I prefer Star Trek, thanks to the wider variety of characters and stories. Being in a TV format, it had a lot more opportunities to explore the universe and provide a little something for everyone.

As far as pitting the science of the two series against each other, I wouldn't do that. It's like oil and water - they just don't mix to me.

Secret_Surfer wrote:and the one with Kevin Sorbo as Captain very much at all.

That wasn't actually part of Star Trek. It was created by Gene Roddenberry, but not connected otherwise.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 10, '07, 11:40 pm

The mighty Thoul has spoken! Star Trek reigns supreme!

The almighty Thoul wrote:As far as pitting the science of the two series against each other, I wouldn't do that. It's like oil and water - they just don't mix to me.
Tell that to the hardcore fans of either side. I'm a strong advicate for Star Trek so I've done the research into the mechanics and physics of the ST universe. I compared them to SW and I've some to the conclusion that ST is much more plausable.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 12, '07, 3:42 pm

Thoul wrote:
Secret_Surfer wrote:and the one with Kevin Sorbo as Captain very much at all.

That wasn't actually part of Star Trek. It was created by Gene Roddenberry, but not connected otherwise.

Oh, okay, lol. Glad I didn't get totally involved in it then. :D

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 13, '07, 2:40 am

Heikabuchi wrote:Tell that to the hardcore fans of either side. I'm a strong advicate for Star Trek so I've done the research into the mechanics and physics of the ST universe. I compared them to SW and I've some to the conclusion that ST is much more plausable.

It's fine if someone wants to do it - I'm all for people doing what they're passionate about. :) I just don't think they would mix well because, as others have said before me, SW has a much more mystical basis. I'm not surprised that ST's tech would be more grounded in real science. To me, Wars has always been a story about fantasy characters (as in, magical knights) in a futuristic setting. It's like taking King Arthur and sticking him on a space shuttle. Trek is better at having character who fit into the setting seamlessly.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Next

Return to Tubular Television