Character flaws

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Character flaws

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Sep 16, '11, 2:56 am

Okay, I know we are all fans of Phantasy Star, but come on, even the best loved Phantasy Star character must have some flaws/faults, so what are those flaws/faults that each character has, in your opinion?

I can tell from reading various posts, etc., that some people think Chaz might be a tad immature or atleast act that way from time to time, even though some might think of him as a hero. Am I right, or wrong about that?

What about Alys, Mieu, Maia, Rudo, and all the others? Bad qualities and good qualities...what are they...in your opinion?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Character flaws

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Sep 16, '11, 12:28 pm

Maia is perfect ;) You all should know it by now :p

Difficult to point out flaws in people that have almost no character development. One could argue that Anna, for example, had a hideous past, but we only know that she has a past she would like to forget.

Obviously, Shir is a thief, so she has a serious character flaw.

Rhys, arguably, is somewhat selfish and reckless, as he wants to bring all the soldiers with him to rescue Maia and his quest is apparently only for his own interest. Although their intention probably was to make him start fighting for what is right as he learns about the world, it is never made clear. However, he can't be blamed for dumping Lena, as he didn't know he had been promised to her.

As for Phantasy Star IV, all the characters have flaws, because they are j-pop anime/manga stock characters. They have many flaws, but the script takes care to make them become the "bestest characterest everest" in a way to make the readers/watchers/players forget about their arrogance, selfishness, stubborness, silliness, always used as the same cliché comic relief (Alys seems to be abusive, but is kind, just and acts like a mom, sacrificing herself for her "son"; Rune is bully and arrogant, but always trusted and believed the guy he bullied). Most remarkably, criminal past makes the person perfect. Past thieves are always the main heroes and get the princess or magical/unique girl in the end.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Sep 16, '11, 3:52 pm

tilinelson2 wrote:As for Phantasy Star IV, all the characters have flaws, because they are j-pop anime/manga stock characters.

To be fair, if developers are going to actually pursue some degree of character development in a game, said characters had jolly well better have some flaws, even if they are stock flaws, just for the sake of some realism. I'd rather have well developed characters with stock flaws instead of well developed characters that are that Hollywood kind of perfect.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Sep 16, '11, 5:27 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:
tilinelson2 wrote:As for Phantasy Star IV, all the characters have flaws, because they are j-pop anime/manga stock characters.

To be fair, if developers are going to actually pursue some degree of character development in a game, said characters had jolly well better have some flaws, even if they are stock flaws, just for the sake of some realism. I'd rather have well developed characters with stock flaws instead of well developed characters that are that Hollywood kind of perfect.

I don't because, in the end, they are more perfect than that "Hollywood kind of perfect", being chosen ones, one of his/her kind, etc, winning by default.

I don't know why they are so afraid to look at the biggest, most complete and best database for characters: real world.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby augmentedfourth » Fri Sep 16, '11, 7:04 pm

tilinelson2 wrote:Difficult to point out flaws in people that have almost no character development.

Yup. I think this can apply to most characters in the first three games, actually. Though I will argue a possible lack of intelligence for 1) Odin, who went after Medusa woefully underprepared just to get the shiny! axe and gave the antidote to an animal without opposable thumbs and 2) Ryan (and the rebels) for claiming not to know how to get to Aridia, even though they had the Twins' Ruby. I guess they didn't try very hard and just sat around the cave and cried about it.

Due to the constraints of the games (well, the first three, anyway), I think it's possible that the characters only had faults/flaws when the creators needed it for certain reasons: Shir being a thief in order to get crucial items, Rhys being portrayed as brash and impulsive so that his pursuit of Maia and the resulting battle with her father makes sense, and so on. Otherwise, a lot of the characters are basically...blank. I agree with tili that most, if not all, of the PSIV characters were portrayed as having flaws, but I don't know enough about anime/manga to know if they're all common stereotypes or not.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jun 17, '18, 6:28 pm

I have to agree with Thoul regarding the way some see Chaz as a bit immature, etc. I saw that when I first started playing the game. I do think Chaz matured as he went along though and learned and experienced a bit more. He probably still had some flaws though, as we all do. Flaws do make for more interesting situations at times.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Sat Jun 23, '18, 12:16 pm

Yes, in the first opuses, hard to tell about character flaws are there aren't many descriptions about them... But true that Tyron/odin was a bit "stupid" about going after Medusa with only what he was "wearing" ! ;) Did he never learn about Mythology ? :lol:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby R-90-2 » Sat Jun 23, '18, 10:59 pm

myau56 wrote:Yes, in the first opuses, hard to tell about character flaws are there aren't many descriptions about them... But true that Tyron/odin was a bit "stupid" about going after Medusa with only what he was "wearing" ! ;) Did he never learn about Mythology ? :lol:

Well, Odin was smart enough to bring along a buddy with a petrification cure (he did bring Myau with him), he just didn't have the presence of mind to give it to someone with opposable thumbs.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby myau56 » Tue Jun 26, '18, 12:12 pm

R-90-2 wrote:
myau56 wrote:Yes, in the first opuses, hard to tell about character flaws are there aren't many descriptions about them... But true that Tyron/odin was a bit "stupid" about going after Medusa with only what he was "wearing" ! ;) Did he never learn about Mythology ? :lol:

Well, Odin was smart enough to bring along a buddy with a petrification cure (he did bring Myau with him), he just didn't have the presence of mind to give it to someone with opposable thumbs.

Exactly ! It's "just" the fact that it's intelligent to bring Alshline/alsuline but in the "hands" of Myau, it's not a very smart move ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Phantasy Star