Starcraft

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Starcraft

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 8, '07, 1:52 pm

Do any of you remember this strategy game? It was a sci-fi themed game that came out many years ago. It was a big hit and one of the best strategy games I've played.

Anyway, the developer, Blizzard, is gearing up for Starcraft 2. It's long overdue, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Starcraft

Postby Fogeltje » Mon Jun 11, '07, 10:40 pm

Jep, in fact I'm a fan of Blizzard games in general. Warcraft II, Diablo and Starcraft were the best IMO. I've played Warcraft up to Warcraft III (lacking a proper computer and not in the mood to pay monthly to play WoW), all Diablo games and StarCraft with expansion. I'm definitely in the mood for StarCraft II, can't wait how the story continues. I've read all novels from the Blizzard so far also, guess I'm a real sucker of Blizzard games. Their universes rank third after the PS universe and the Crusader universe in my favourite list.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Triumvirate » Wed Jun 13, '07, 12:19 am

I loved Starcraft but am a bit hesitant about SC2. It will be close to a decade since the first game when they release 2 and that means they have to live up to a lot. If there are any problems with the game they will be blown way out of proportion in the minds of the people who love the game simply because they only remember the absolute best parts from Starcraft.

Not to mention the execution of Starcraft in the first place was so near perfect that it will be hard to hit that same kind of success and balance without making a carbon copy of the game.
Triumvirate
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 1

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 13, '07, 9:51 pm

Those are good points, Triumvirate. Starcraft certainly will be a tough act to follow. I've read that some of the original team has returned for the new game to help keep it balanced, so hopefully they will be able to do a good job and keep the game innovative at the same time.

Jep, in fact I'm a fan of Blizzard games in general. Warcraft II, Diablo and Starcraft were the best IMO. I've played Warcraft up to Warcraft III (lacking a proper computer and not in the mood to pay monthly to play WoW), all Diablo games and StarCraft with expansion.

I never really enjoyed Warcraft that much. They're okay (I played II, then I, but finished neither), but I just didn't have that much fun with them. Diablo is good, though. Speaking of which, I wonder how long it will be until they announce Diablo III? They haven't continued that series in quite a while, either.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fogeltje » Wed Jun 13, '07, 10:21 pm

I don't think they will continue with Diablo while StarCraft II is still being developed. We will probably see an expansion for it first. But I'm definitely hopeful that they will revive Diablo also.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Fri Jun 15, '07, 2:55 pm

Hm, I don't think I ever played the first Starcraft. I wonder if it's still for sale... I still see Diablo boxes everytime I got to Wal-mart, even after all these years.

Blizzard does like their expansions, so I'm sure Fogeltje is right and we won't see Diablo III until a few years after the StarCraft II expansion.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 15, '07, 8:12 pm

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I wasn't even thinking of the possibility of a Starcraft II expansion.

But even so, they may already be planning the next Diablo. From what I've heard, Starcraft II has been in development for five years already. I'm not sure how they managed to keep it a secret for so long. :? Anyway, who knows, maybe they already have an eye on Diablo and won't tell anyone for a few years. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Jun 15, '07, 11:54 pm

I had about a year of obsession with Starcraft. I'm out of the RTS mode right now, but if Starcraft 2 lives up to the original, I'll probably come back to the genre!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Return to Retro Roundup