Adventures in Maintenance

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Adventures in Maintenance

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 17, '09, 6:36 pm

Like all machines and electronics, games and gaming systems sometimes need a little tender loving care, or just a good metaphorical kick in the rear, to get them working. What are some of the things you've had to do to your gaming gear over the years to get the most from it?

Back in the day, I used to have to blow in cartridges a lot. Not just Nintendo carts either, but also Atari games and game decks. Even Genesis carts needed it once or twice, but that was pretty rare. It seemed like those systems and games just attracted dust like magnets. I tried one of those NES cleaning kits that used to be sold everywhere, but it didn't work very well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Adventures in Maintenance

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Sep 17, '09, 9:07 pm

I'm trying to my SNES running properly. It WORKS, it's just that those color stripes drive me up the wall. Especially looks terrible on Earthbound. The carts have been cleaned extensively with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, and I went out for some compressed air, which will hopefully clean the connector pins in the SNES effectively and maybe make the games look right.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Tech and Design