Actor Heath Ledger dead

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Postby Reno » Thu Jan 24, '08, 11:49 pm

Thoul wrote:On another tanget, you know those people that were in the news last year for protesting at the funerals of US soldiers killed in Iraq? They're planning a protest at Ledger's funeral now as well. They claim that his death was a punishment from God because of his role in Brokeback Mountain. :roll:

There have been other cases of things like that happening with non-celebrities that occasionally surface into the news, (things like when a father kills himself, and these people show up at the funeral and tell his young daughter that her Daddy's rotting in hell) it's sick and wrong and shows how irrationally believing something so archaic as hellfire and damnation, (and not just believing it, but being adamant and arrogant about it and forcing it on others) has turned something like religion, which was never peaceful to begin with, into something even die-hard believers loathe practising.

If there was a Hell, then those bloody... *wanting so hard to break the forum rules* :bang:
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby hugues » Fri Jan 25, '08, 12:24 am

Reno wrote:
hugues wrote:Whenever a celebrity dies they always air their movies or music non-stop for a week or two. It's so tasteless to try and profit off an event like this. I assume it was "Knight's Tale" which TBS (or maybe TNT) has aired a few times in the last year. They presumably still have the cable rights and will milk it for all they can.

Eh? Try to make a profit off it? How exactly would they go about that? Quite honestly, whether or not the actor/actress of a certain aging film happens to have died recently, doesn't tend to affect my decision to sit down for a good two hours or so and watch it. If anything, it could be seen as paying homage to their artistic contributions to this world. However, the idea of a network completely altering their programme schedule to coincide with a certain event in celebrity news is a bit out there, in my opinion.

If they just wanted to pay homage they'd take out the commercials :wink: I'm not Mr-Anti-Corporation here or anything. I just think we'll be seeing his films air a lot in the next few weeks which I doubt would be happening if he was alive right now.

There will be plenty of people who take a sudden interest in his films because of this. I remember back shortly after when Kurt Cobain died.. a friend of mine went to replace a lost "Bleach" CD and the guy at the counter snorted "huh, jumping on the Nirvana bandwagon". It's hard to believe but some people suddenly get interested in a celebrity after they die, especially if it was before their time.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jan 27, '08, 12:35 am

Well, I heard that Heath Ledger items on ebay are realling selling. The highest priced item was a .com space with his name, I think. Sorry to say, I just don't have anything related to him.

On another note, his family has taken his body to LA, for a private memorial service there, I think. Then, he will probably be buried in his home town of Perth, Australia, I think it is.

Still sad to think he is gone.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Feb 6, '08, 8:38 pm

Thoul wrote:On another tanget, you know those people that were in the news last year for protesting at the funerals of US soldiers killed in Iraq? They're planning a protest at Ledger's funeral now as well. They claim that his death was a punishment from God because of his role in Brokeback Mountain. :roll:

I meant to respond to this earlier, but forgot about it until just seeing it again a few moments ago. First, let me say that I have not watched "Brokeback Mountain" and probably won't as I don't agree very much with the subject material, however, sometimes you have to examine something to really know what it is really all about, etc. But, I've decided I probably won't watch it.

However, with all that said, I feel it is a big step for us humans to say what God may, or may not, have done as a punishment for something. Only God really knows that for certain. If anyone wants to follow along those lines, then one might wonder if perhaps there could be any punishment for those protesting the funeral as well as that doesn't sound like a very "brotherly love" type of act, and God does tell us in the bible to "Love One Another", and that "let he who is without sin among you throw the first stone", which is very hard to do since all of us have sinned.

A funeral is the wrong place to protest anything. It does no one any good. The deceased party is unaffected, and the only ones who will suffer are the relatives left behind, who are going through a hard enough time at the moment just saying "goodbye" to their loved one.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Feb 6, '08, 8:42 pm

Actor Heath Ledger's death has been ruled an accidental overdose.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... 3&GT1=7701

I really feel sorry for his family, and that he lost his life so young and full of promise ahead, for something like this.

When are people going to realize that you just can not take all these drugs (even prescribed by a doctor) together at one time? :(

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Reno » Wed Feb 6, '08, 9:41 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:A funeral is the wrong place to protest anything. It does no one any good. The deceased party is unaffected, and the only ones who will suffer are the relatives left behind, who are going through a hard enough time at the moment just saying "goodbye" to their loved one.

I think their intentions were to latch onto what they knew would be an event filled to capacity with those of the media, so they could more easily get their message out to more people. Regardless, it's a terribly insensitive thing to do and I doubt anyone will care to listen to them because of it, (not to say their message isn't completely daft to begin with :wink:) , but now it'll be received with much more hostility than it may have otherwise seen.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Mar 11, '08, 5:34 pm

Heath Ledger is in the news again, this time concerning his will. It seems the only will he had on record was one made before his daughter was born, and in that will, he left everything to his parents and siblings. Now, people are wondering about that, and how his daughter will be affected, etc. From what I've heard, his parents have said the daughter will be taken care of. That's not surprising, as I'm sure they love her very much and will do whatever they can to take care of her as Heath would have wanted. I just hope they reach an understanding and peace together so this thing doesn't get blown out of hand as can sometimes happen.

Bottom line, everyone needs to have a current will updated, etc., on record.

Also, in related news, I read that the last film Heath was working on has resumed shooting with 3 actors in the role Heath had, one of them being the fantastic Johnny Depp. Sounds interesting.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798 ... 1&nid=3078

Silver_Surfer1

Previous

Return to Feature Films