Alternate Universe CYOA: Phantasy Star 3

Adventures in board based gaming.

Alternate Universe CYOA: Phantasy Star 3

Postby Tanith » Sat Jul 13, '13, 10:39 am

In this "choose your own adventure," we enter the Alisa III in an alternate universe. In particular, this adventure starts much the same way as Maia's, only it is from her viewpoint, not Rhys's. Maia* is also granted agency over her fate. Well, that's where YOU come in, anyway (irony?). What will Maia do in a strange land with no memory? You decide!

*May not be the hero's real name. We'll see!

She awoke. The daylight hurt her eyes at first, and she could only squint. Slowly, the world came into focus. There had been dreams, many of them, but they were already disappearing as she opened her eyes. She heard the sound of waves lapping onto the shore, she felt scratchy sand on her body and clothes, and she smelled humidity in the warm air.

She sat upright and looked around. She was on the beach of a small lake, or maybe a wide river, with a shallow clearing then a forest on either side. She had no idea where she was. She had no idea who she was.

Overcome with panic, she tried to rise to her feet, but her wobbly legs would not support her. She sat in the sand and tried hard, as hard as she could, to remember something, anything, that would explain why she was sleeping on a beach. But nothing came to her. She cried. Several minutes later, distress turned to anger. She wiped away hot tears and tried again to rise.

No sooner had she gotten to her feet than howling was heard from the edge of the forest. A pack of dogs chased a plump, yellow bird out of the woods and onto the sand. Neither the dogs nor the bird paid her heed, and they continued right past her, down the shore in pursuit.

She gasped when a man and woman appeared on horseback from the forest line. They wore fine clothes, and the woman carried a brass horn. A hunting party, perhaps? She squatted behind a large piece of driftwood, hoping the two riders had not seen her yet. Would they help her?

A) She flags down the two newcomers.
B) She swims to the other side of the lake/river.
C) She runs into the forest.
D) She stays out of sight.
Last edited by Tanith on Sat Jul 13, '13, 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: Alternate Universe CYOA: Phantasy Star 3

Postby augmentedfourth » Sat Jul 13, '13, 7:16 pm

Because it is summer and grossly hot over here, I vote B!
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun Jul 14, '13, 12:11 am

Ooohh... as a fellow CYOAer (I really should get back to Phantasy Star Story, Night Never Sleeps, and Kyoda), I applaud you. As for my answer, I choose D!
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Snorb » Sun Jul 14, '13, 12:47 am

B, because swimming Maia is best Maia!

(Also, I read some COYAs on Something Awful, and they get answered in particularly sarcastic ways, so... don't mind me later. =p)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tanith » Thu Jul 18, '13, 10:10 am

B it is!

From her hiding place behind the log, she glanced over her shoulder, to the body of water behind her. The other side was a good distance away but not too far away, and the water was dark, indicating depth. A thought came to her.

I can swim.

It felt wonderful to have the first piece of her memory returned to her, but there was no time to celebrate. She took in a deep breath and plunged into the water. It was cold and sent a chill throughout her body. She would have to swim as quickly as she possibly could, not that she had planned to leisurely wade to the other side.

Her long strokes came quickly and naturally. Had she done this many times before? She must have. She barely even thought about her breaths or how far away she was from the other shore. She ignored the sounds of yelling coming from behind her, the three-note call of a horn, and the return of barking.

By the time she had reached the other side, the hunters had given up on her; all was quiet, save for the rustling of leaves and the clicking and chirping of birds. She walked onto the shore and looked in all directions. She was alone again. She sighed.

She rang the water out of her long, powder-blue hair. She hadn't noticed its color before. She glanced down at herself. Her hair seemed to match her long dress, made of many gossamer layers, now torn, that clung to her damp body. She rung her skirt out, then her hands moved to the gold belt around her waist. She was surprised she had been able to swim so fast with its added weight! She unhooked it and freed her waist from its restrictive embrace. A sudden shiver overcame her.

She tossed her belt aside and rubbed her shoulders and arms as she searched for a sunny, dry spot of sand. Farther from the water, nearer to the tree line, the sand was free of moisture, and the warmth of the grains was welcome relief to her bare feet. She let down her guard as she laid on the sand and rubbed handfuls of grains all over her cold skin. A craggy-but-cheerful voice came from behind her.

"My lady, a woman of your status shouldn't be playing the sand! Where are your maids?"

She gasped and jumped to her feet, quickly turning toward the voice. There was a woman with gray hair and a heavy curve in her back, wearing sturdy, plain clothes and leaning on a long wooden rod. She spoke again.

"Oh, dear. I see I have frightened you. And... my, but I did not realize how..." She tilted her head and looked at the young woman with concern in her eyes. "Something has happened, yes?"

The young woman looked at the ground and swallowed a lump in the throat. "I'm afraid I don't know."

The old woman tsked. "Someone will miss you very soon, if not already. Do you remember anything? Your name?"

The young woman rubbed her forehead and thought hard. There were the sparks of old memories, the very faintest of flashes. Colors and shapes, here and there, but no faces. No words. No words, that is, except for one. A name. Her eyes widened.

"My name is..."

A) Maia
B) Flora
C) Nessa
D) Corina
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu Jul 18, '13, 2:19 pm

Hahaha, awesome. I'll be boring and just go ahead and pick A. :D

(though it's really tempting to do otherwise....)
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Jul 18, '13, 6:26 pm

I'll force a tie! Just because it's tempting, I'll choose B, one of the less likable names :P
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby doncair99 » Sat Jul 20, '13, 9:12 pm

I''m just gonna be a mood killer and choose A, as well.
doncair99
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 153

Postby Snorb » Sat Jul 20, '13, 9:27 pm

(to the tune, if that is possible, of Barry Manilow's Copacabana)
(EDIT: Choice A, because you can't really see the bolded A in Maia's name.)
(I apologize in advance.)

Her name was Maia
She was a bluenette
With rappy feathers in her hair, and a dress cut down to there
She would Rever, and cast Gi Resta
And when she washed upon the shore, Rhys longed for something more
Across the whole castle, they would eat pretzels
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?
Last edited by Snorb on Sun Jul 21, '13, 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Jul 21, '13, 1:40 am

With rappy feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there?
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Next

Return to Roleplay