About the thousand years thing

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

About the thousand years thing

Postby Thoul » Fri Jan 4, '08, 8:09 am

As we all know, PSIV makes a habit of saying there is a thousand year cycle for Rykros to return, Dark Force to rise, and all that other good stuff. But is that really true?

We can tell that there's almost exactly a thousand years between PSII and PSIV, but less time lapses between PSI and PSII. It's more like 940 years. That's close to a thousand, but a 60 year difference is a major problem for Rykros' supposed purpose as a warning of the end coming.

There's also the concept that Lassic actually somehow summoned Dark Falz, starting the whole cycle of DF appearing. If that's true, how could the Great Light have known, millions of years ahead of time, to set Rykros to return just in time for the millennium mark? Or, do you think that there were other DFs prior to PSI and we haven't seen those?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jan 4, '08, 3:04 pm

I think the millennium mark is a rough estimate. And Rykros was a failure on the Great Light's part, since it didn't warn Alis or Rolf. It only worked in PSIV, and even Rune was surprised to see it. :p

As for the Great Light predicting Dark Force's return every millennia, I don't think that there were any previous Dark Forces prior to when Phantasy Star started. Certainly the seal weakened every 1,000 years, but I don't think Dark Force was introduced until PSI when, as you said, Lassic summoned it.

It's kind of sad to think about. The Great Light left Algol and its children behind, leaving them to fend for themselves. Technically, their purpose is simply to make sure that the Profound Darkness doesn't get free, yes?
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby newsblade » Fri Jan 11, '08, 6:07 am

It's kind of sad to think about. The Great Light left Algol and its children behind, leaving them to fend for themselves.

Arisa also left her "child" behind... it's typical during these days....

Yes... I think the seal was weaken and weaken until at one time in AW282, the first Dark Force escaped... a very weak DF that, during the years became stronger to provoke the chaos in Algol (since I don't believe a "Prophallus" like that has the power to destroy a solar system (yet).

First of all there is a possibility that in PS1 "Prophallus" was released in AW0282 and gone around Algol during 45 years until find someone like Lashiec. [After this strange things happened: Aures Landale died, and adoptive fathers of Arisa died as well, her brother, and so on]. DF does not destroy Algol in a Day... he is very patient (if not, the very first time we went to the inn a screen saying "game over" would appear).

Then in PS2 he was released in AW1282 and after a few years he was defeated (AW1286). Same in PS4 (AW1282 - but only defeated in AW2284. [this is just an example]

And... what about Ryocross?
Well his mission is to warn, but in fact we only need him when the profoundness of darkness is starting to break the second part of the seal (that's why we pick those rings). So, in fact he was only needed once, when the REAL DF appeared - fortunately, the profoundness of darkness appeared only this time and only this time (PS4) so... Ryucross was very useful. If "profoundness of dark" appeared in PS2 I believe Eusis and co. would also find Ryocross, I'm sure.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby newsblade » Fri Jan 11, '08, 6:16 am

Here's another theory:

The problem for the weakening of the seal could not be the years but what they represent physically (the position of the planets).
Between PS1 and PS2 there was a catastrophe called the "great flip"... so maybe that was a natural "reset" in the account of the years (like an auto-password changer by Algol Solar System). If that catastrophe happened, for example, in AW845 that means Algol reset to a "position" that only in x284AW the seal got weakened. That would explain the "lack of millenium" between PS1 and PS2.

So, acording with this view how do I justify the malfunction of Ryucross?

PS1- AW351 (This was just a warning... it wasn't a real dark force... just a "Prophallus" Lashiec released)
after-PSG- AW814 (The true Millennium... Ryucross appeared and Arisa and friends (except lutz) found it. It worked!)
[PLANETS RESET] (845AW)
PS2- AW1086 (This were the only ones who didn't found Ryucross... yet (the game ended with an opened continuation), anyway maybe some escape ship from Palma landed there and found it).
PS4- AW2084 (They found Ryucross too... because of a Dezolian prophecy)
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Dorrinal » Fri Jan 11, '08, 7:44 pm

How long is Ryucross within the orbit of Dezolis, Parma, and Motavia?
Since it is a warning, does it appear before and after the weakest point in the Seal? If so, how many years prior?
Can Dark Force escape the seal at its weakest point? What is DF's window of opportunity?

These unanswered questions imply the possibility that Dark Force can appear in Algo less than a thousand years after the previous Dark Force.

Thoul wrote:There's also the concept that Lassic actually somehow summoned Dark Falz, starting the whole cycle of DF appearing. If that's true, how could the Great Light have known, millions of years ahead of time, to set Rykros to return just in time for the millennium mark? Or, do you think that there were other DFs prior to PSI and we haven't seen those?

The weakened seal is what allowed Dark Force to escape, not the other way around. Lassic acted as a catalyst for the Profound Darkness' escape by allowing a piece of the PD (Dark Force) to enter Algo and literally wreak havoc. It is my belief that Dark Force did not exist in Algo before Lassic, but it could have been the other way around for countless millennia.
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jan 11, '08, 11:10 pm

newsblade wrote:Arisa also left her "child" behind... it's typical during these days....
I never played those two side games (Adventure, Gaiden, I know little about 'em), so I never view Alis as abandoning her kids/clones. :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Return to Classic Series