Exclaim, PS II ending theme, on piano.

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Exclaim, PS II ending theme, on piano.

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Aug 28, '13, 12:08 am

Just a very simple arrangement, nothing fancy. Sounds a little different without the crazy effects (which I love), but I still think it's a cool little song, just because it's so ominous. Anyway, hope you like it.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Re: Exclaim, PS II ending theme, on piano.

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Aug 28, '13, 5:47 am

It's simple but it does what it's supposed to do. I like it, I never tire to hear other people's rendition of PS songs. Some, like yours, are fun to loop, enjoy, digest and analyze while some of the stuff I have heard elsewhere on the net remains there to make sure I never forget how to cringe.

As for this particular piece: It's kind of entertaining to see how much your playing gained in confidence as the song progresses; it's easiest to notice halfway through, right where you loop the song.

As for how it sounds, I would personally have played the melody a bit louder and tried to be a bit lighter on the left hand. That is, assuming I could play piano. Which I don't. So yeah.

Keep it up!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby augmentedfourth » Fri Sep 6, '13, 1:18 am

Whoops, somehow I missed this when it was first posted!

Nothing wrong with repeated rhythmic octaves in the left hand to drive things forward. In fact, that's one of my favorite kind of accompaniments! :D Even though there weren't a lot of crazy effects, as you call them, I do like what you did with sustaining certain notes in the beginning of the melody to kind of get that pyramid effect.

Somewhere down the line, I think it would be cool if you were able to flesh out parts of the melody with some chords and harmonies. I know, I know, easier said than done, but since - if I remember correctly - you're recording the two hands separately anyway, you might be able to play around with adding another track or two.

Nice arrangement!
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Sep 6, '13, 3:17 am

Thanks, and yeah, I know I tend to play the melody parts pretty straightforwardly, but I do always actually play my piano covers two-handed, so that affects my choices. Whenever I'm doing a fuller arrangement with multiple instruments I'll often record each part separately, which is something I did more often when I first started covering stuff, but I've been focusing on developing my piano playing. I tend to like a barer melody with maybe a more developed harmonic underpinning, since to me it sounds more fluid. To my ears a more harmonic lead part often obscures the melody, or at least under-emphasizes it, and I'm more a melody person than a harmony person anyway.

Thanks to both of you for checking it out, by the way.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 3, '14, 11:30 am

Excellent ! I last I can let a comment on this melody you have composed, dear Bragatyr :)
Excellent one and I love how you speak about piano and music in general ! As I cn't play any instruments, it's a pleasure to both hear the music and watch what you have written ! Good job :)
PS : indeed, the same goes for Atlin and Augmentedfourth ! :)
Last edited by myau56 on Mon Feb 3, '14, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Feb 3, '14, 2:46 pm

Thank you so much, myau! I had a lot of fun playing this one, the song itself is definitely a fave of mine, and I've been meaning to play several other Phantasy Star songs since then, and just got sidetracked.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 3, '14, 8:50 pm

No need to thanks me ! And I'm sure that you had a lot of fun, and you had in all the themes you have played on a piano ! We can hear that :)
Like you said, hope you'll continue to play other Phantasy Star songs like that ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More