The Sayings of the Fathers in Coptic Egyptian

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

The Sayings of the Fathers in Coptic Egyptian

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Apr 25, '17, 12:24 am

Another literary video, this one from the ancient world and in an ancient language. I had posted a translation here of the Coptic Egyptian Wisdom of Solomon a while back, and this group of wisdom sayings from the Egyptian Desert Fathers is in the same language, which is the latest and last stage of the Egyptian language before it was supplanted by Arabic in the mid-first millennium of the modern era.

It's a really interesting body of literature in a very beautiful language that isn't widely known in the Western world, and one of many I'm trying to bring more attention to on my YouTube channel.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Re: The Sayings of the Fathers in Coptic Egyptian

Postby myau56 » Tue Apr 25, '17, 12:22 pm

Interesting video again, dear Bragatyr ! :)
But like the other one you posted here, about Kubla Khan, honestly, I didn't know a single thing about the sayings of the fathers ! But now it have changed so thank you again ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Apr 28, '17, 11:22 pm

Thanks for checking it out, man. Yeah, the Desert Fathers probably aren't widely taught outside of theological circles, but they're pretty interesting even from a secular perspective because they were the foundation of monasticism and are basically responsible for the whole system of having monks and nuns and monasteries and convents and all that.

And personally I think they were pretty awesome. Apparently some of them could communicate with animals, which is a skill I wish I had. I'm pretty close with my dog Scooter, but my other dog Red doesn't have the same rapport with me, and my cats are hopeless.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Sat Apr 29, '17, 11:52 am

Yes, cats are hopeless : I can confirm that fact with my cat ! (Myau !;) ) .
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri May 12, '17, 2:14 am

I couldn't understand a word of the language, but I enjoyed listening to you read it.
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Bragatyr » Sat May 13, '17, 1:47 am

Thank you very much, Silver Surfer. That's one of the reasons I really wanted to do this whole YouTube channel thing, there are so many languages in the world and on the one hand they divide us but on the other hand they are unique and beautiful in their own right.

There's something about the fact that devout men and women of Egypt wrote and spoke these beautiful things so many years ago that really touches me, and I hope to convey some of that.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Sun May 14, '17, 1:06 pm

True that different languages are a sort of barrier BUT all barriers can be "casted down" or broken down ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Bragatyr » Fri May 19, '17, 2:55 am

Absolutely, and languages are simply beautiful and unique in their own right, and contribute so much to the culture and identity of those who speak them. And it's just a shame to me that some languages are actually dying, like Welsh, despite official efforts to preserve them. Part of the way of the world, but it's mind-boggling to imagine such sheer beauty just fading away.

By the way, Silver Surfer, I forgot to mention it before, but there is a translation of the text for this video in the video information section on the actual YouTube page. I always include that in any foreign-language video, sorry about the inconvenience on that, I'm not really able to put in subtitles for translations the way I would like to, but I'm working on it.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Fri May 19, '17, 1:00 pm

Absolutely, and languages are simply beautiful and unique in their own right, and contribute so much to the culture and identity of those who speak them. And it's just a shame to me that some languages are actually dying, like Welsh, despite official efforts to preserve them. Part of the way of the world, but it's mind-boggling to imagine such sheer beauty just fading away.

True ! Sorry to hear too that certain languages are maybe bound to disappear one day... :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More