Your favorite classic Castlevania?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

What's your favorite classic Castlevania game?

Castlevania (NES)
No votes
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (NES)
57%
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (NES)
No votes
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
14%
Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
14%
Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
No votes
Castleania 2: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
No votes
Other (specify)
14%

Total votes : 7

Your favorite classic Castlevania?

Postby Solar » Fri Oct 22, '10, 8:59 am

Symphony of the Night and games after that aren't included, because that's where they started adding RPG elements to all the games along with non-linear progression. And this is where, I think, the era of classic Castlevania ends. I am aware that a few less known titles aren't included either.

For me, it's Castlevania: Bloodlines, the uncensored version naturally. In my opinion, the control was the best in that one, out of all the classics. The challenge is just right with three difficulty levels, and the music is the very best you can get with the Genesis sound chip. Traveling in many locations around Europe adds to the atmosphere, too.
Last edited by Solar on Fri Oct 22, '10, 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Re: Your favorite classic Castlevania?

Postby H-Man » Fri Oct 22, '10, 3:29 pm

I always had a blast with the SNES Super Castlevania 4. It was the only one I actually beat, although I admittedly used a few cheat codes here and there. It was loads of fun. Other than that, I only played a little of Castlevania for the original Gameboy, Simon's Quest, and Bloodlines.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby zyo81 » Fri Oct 22, '10, 3:39 pm

Castlevania 2 also has rpg elements. It was close between that and bloodlines. I picked castlevania 2. SOTN is my favorite game ever though. I've played through over a dozen times over several versions.
zyo81
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 9

Postby Snorb » Fri Oct 22, '10, 4:10 pm

I gotta say Castlevania III- Castlevania II was just plain awful, I was too tough, but III just came together all perfectly and awesome. (The fact that Dawn of Sorrow's bonus mode plays like Castlevania III doesn't hurt, either, and Dawn of Sorrow's my favorite Castlevania game ever, so yeah.)

I never tried the GBClassic Castlevanias, but hey, I have a Game Boy emulator, why not?
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Solar » Fri Oct 22, '10, 4:59 pm

Snorb wrote:
I never tried the GBClassic Castlevanias, but hey, I have a Game Boy emulator, why not?

Neither did I, in fact I've never played a classic Gameboy game. Maybe it's the black-and-white graphics that turn me off.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby zyo81 » Fri Oct 22, '10, 5:57 pm

Well actually it's not so much black and white (that was game boy pocket), the first gameboy was more creamed spinach green and yellow, it was blurry as hell too, but I didn't realize how blurry it was until I saw the pocket.
zyo81
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 9

Postby hugues » Fri Oct 22, '10, 6:56 pm

Dracula X for PC-Engine CD wins hands-down for me. I'm not a huge fan of the classic Castlevania games because I didn't care for the controls. The soundtrack and visuals on Dracula X are so amazing that I can put the controls aside and really enjoy the game.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Wing Eye » Mon Oct 25, '10, 11:29 pm

I LOVE Simon's Quest, its the only classic Castlevania that I still replay from time to time, I think it deserves a remake.
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby xellos667 » Fri Nov 5, '10, 3:43 pm

Simon's Quest too. It's broken, badly translated, way too cryptic in what needs to be done. But my god I love this game for the true root of the Metroidvania it is (and the awesome Bloody Tear)
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Return to Retro Roundup