A couple Phantasy Star scans

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

A couple Phantasy Star scans

Postby hugues » Fri Dec 17, '10, 6:44 pm

In November 1997 EGM ran a "Top 100 Games of All Time" list. I have a copy lying around and took a little peek at it. Two Phantasy Star games made the cut:

I would have ranked them both higher but whatever.

They sure didn't play very long to get those screen shots.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Re: A couple Phantasy Star scans

Postby xellos667 » Fri Dec 17, '10, 7:18 pm

Thanks :) Too bad PSIV didnt make the cut...(or PSIII...though this one I can understand if you only judge it on its popularity, it's only one of my favorite game of all time in my own little world)
Last edited by xellos667 on Fri Dec 17, '10, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Thoul » Sun Dec 19, '10, 12:40 am

I'm surprised two PS games made the list. I would have expect one, but I'm glad both of these were on it. Really, I expected PS1 would have been ranked higher, too. I bet Street Fighter II was in the top ten, given how much EGM loved that. :lol:

Thanks for sharing this with us, hugues!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Dec 19, '10, 2:10 am

It is always good to see Phantasy Star games acknowledged as one of the best ever. Of course in my opinion all four would make it to the top ten, but I´m just a PS fan, so my opinion is not unbiased :p
Anyway, both PSI and PSII were ahead of their time, so they should be in any serious list.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Solar » Sun Dec 19, '10, 8:39 am

"Finally getting to Dark Force" Eh? I don't think any player expected to fight Dark Force when they were on their way to destroy Mother Brain, which would obviously be the final boss.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Rudo » Thu Dec 30, '10, 2:13 am

It's great to see that 2 of the PS games made the list. I would have thought more than that but what the heck. Thanks for sharing this info.
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby H-Man » Thu Dec 30, '10, 6:37 pm

Glad to see this. Phantasy Star deserves more love than that FF series or whatever it's called. ;-)
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Dec 31, '10, 11:33 am

I wonder how many FF games are placed in the list and where. Of course there are some FF games who deserve to be in top 100, but not 5 or 6 FF in top 30 (plus 5 or 6 Zelda and 5 or 6 Mario games).
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 3, '11, 1:51 am

Old topic, but I just found a full list of the 100 games online, so I can answer that wondering about FF game placement on it. There were only two in the list. Final Fantasy VII was #21 and Final Fantasy III (the SNES one) was #9. You can read the whole list here:

EGM did the Top 100 list again in issue #150. Both Phantasy Stars dropped considerably: Phantasy Star I is 96, Phantasy Star II is 71. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 comes in at 45. There are 5 Final Fantasys scattered through the list this time. I found this list online, too. It's more difficult to read, because the guy is striking them out, but it's serviceable.
Last edited by Thoul on Fri Jun 3, '11, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Classic Series