$60 for a Game in 2014 Is "Insane"

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: $60 for a Game in 2014 Is "Insane"

Postby Hukos » Fri Jun 6, '14, 6:49 pm

I know some people don't like rewriting NPC dialogue, but honestly without a swath of footnotes to tell the player "Oh and this is apparently funny to the Japanese because cultural reasons" maintaining any kind of logical flow to the plot of a game would be rather difficult.

I'm okay with rewriting dialogue, so long as it's good dialogue. I know some people would like to be idealistic (read: naive) enough to think that language can have a 1:1 conversion but that's not how languages work. There's a lot of cultural idioms and quirks to master before you can really understand a language, otherwise we could use google translate for full localizations!
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby S4Blade » Fri Jun 6, '14, 6:56 pm

Dragonmaster Lou I'm talking about the US Sega CD version of Silver Star compared to the PS version of the game. I never played the Japanese versions. The Sega CD version of Silver Star was rather easy, and kept you focused on the story, which was the best part of the game IMO. Leveling up in the PS version was quite a chore and it broke up the pace of the game for me. I still enjoyed it, but not as much.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Mon Jun 9, '14, 4:40 pm

VistaBlade wrote:Dragonmaster Lou I'm talking about the US Sega CD version of Silver Star compared to the PS version of the game. I never played the Japanese versions. The Sega CD version of Silver Star was rather easy, and kept you focused on the story, which was the best part of the game IMO. Leveling up in the PS version was quite a chore and it broke up the pace of the game for me. I still enjoyed it, but not as much.

That's true about the US Sega CD version (although there was that almost impossible to see doorway in the Lann island cave that had me stuck for Althena knows how long...).

However, you can't really blame WD for the PS versions. I played both the US and Japanese versions (albeit the Saturn Japanese versions that the PS versions were based on) and both were much grindier.
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 15

Postby Icecypher » Fri Sep 19, '14, 10:51 pm

I am another one who has a large enough list of games to play, and I can wait enough for new ones. In fact, sometimes I have to do a somewhat opposite thing: right before a game gets hard to buy, I get it, even if I do not have the console yet. That would save me from paying lots and lots of pesos once the game is out of print.

Still, there are a few games I spent a lot of cash on. One is Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which I first played on the PSP and loved it. Then I got the PS2 version years later, in order to play it with my BF. But since my PS2 requires some minutes to get warmed up so I can play, I finally got the PS3 version a few months ago. It was somewhat expensive, but I knew it was a game I would love and I would play a lot, so the cost got absorbed into the hours of entertainment we would get.

My boyfriend likes the Disney Infinity game, and I saw it as a kind of constant present giving to him to get him as many toys for it as I could. Of course, this can get very expensive (we are almost done with buying the 1.0 toys, just in time to start all over again with 2.0; goodbye, loved pesos). That is why I try to get the ones who have a special offer, or the older ones. They are slightly cheaper. We are also getting some power discs now that they cost 30% of their original price. :yes:

And speaking of companies who still give a little extra with their games in this time of no manuals, no anything, let us not forget Atlus. They care about their customers (lack of PSP Persona 2: Eternal Punishment notwhithstanding), they bring games that would never see the light of day here if not for them and X-Seed, and they give away soundtracks, books and all sort of things in the first printing of their games, for no extra cost. Actually, it was that extra something that convinced me to get the Conception 2 game, something I would not have done otherwise (fun game to mindlessly spend time on, not to be taken seriously). They also have their own Shin Megami Tensei games, which are all high quality and have great replay value. With a company like that, which is also small and does not sell as many units as other companies, I do not mind paying full price. They deserve it AND they will put the money to good use. I cannot say the same about Square Enix (even if I love the Dragon Quest games, which deserve better than being trapped in that company post the Enix-buying-Squaresoft-but-Squaresoft-behaving-like-the-top-one-now merger).
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby PathfinderCS » Fri Oct 3, '14, 2:53 am

The value is subjective; at best. How much is an individual game worth to you? Honestly, I don't think $60 is too much for a game, BUT that will depend on the game itself. Here are some examples of my thoughts:

Journey: Easily one of the best games I have ever played, but with the sheer shortness of it I doubt would ever equal the $60 value. IIRC though, it was never priced THAT high.

Skyrim: Considering the sheer scope of the game, I'd argue that it's worth even more. Add in things like mods for the PC version, then...I think you get my point.

Titanfall: I really did want to try this game, but being multiplayer only...for me, not worth the $60 it started with.

Shadow of Mordor: I ordered this earlier today. Right now, I'm gambling on believing that this is indeed worth the $60 value. We'll see if I am right.

But again, it's subjective. Skyrim to some is pure trash while Titanfall is gold. For me, it just depends on the game.
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Oct 3, '14, 5:21 am

That's true, I do think certain new games with a lot of content are worth the price tag. I'm not gonna have any problem getting Smash 4 new. And I still remember when new games were like seventy, eighty bucks, so considering inflation, as pointed out, it's not that bad.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Hukos » Sat Oct 4, '14, 1:33 am

I'm more along the lines of quality > quantity here.

Just because you stuff a lot of content in your game doesn't automatically mean its worth its pricetag.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Previous

Return to General Gaming