Trouble In China

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Trouble In China

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Mar 20, '08, 8:34 pm

China has seen a lot of angry protests and demonstrations lately. The country seems to be in a bit of turmoil in some areas.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_ ... hina_tibet

Many people are wondering if this will have some type of affect on the summer olympics which are to be held in China. If so, that would really be a shame as the olympic games are very prestiguous and important.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Mar 21, '08, 1:40 am

Didn't they do something to the internet in China? Like they can't go onto Youtube or certain sites that wouldn't serve educational purposes?
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Sat Mar 22, '08, 6:37 am

Yeah, China has a history of limiting internet access like that. They want to control how the people think by preventing them from being exposed to any kind of material that opposes the government's policies.

Many people are wondering if this will have some type of affect on the summer olympics which are to be held in China. If so, that would really be a shame as the olympic games are very prestiguous and important.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Olympics are targeted in China. It is an event that the whole world will be watching, so it makes for a perfect opportunity to get attention. Given how much unrest there seems to be in the country, it will be a huge target.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Reno » Sat Mar 22, '08, 7:13 am

China's a scary place, (unrelated, but the total number of people executed in China during the single year of 2006, was 1,010). It's sad that their government is completely taking advantage of them by trying to have a profitable capitalistic country with communism tying the people down and binding them to the state.

They're also trying to rapidly clean Beijing and get rid of all the pollution, (the government cares NOTHING for the environment) so as to make it more pristine and presentable to the world for the 2008 Summer Olympics. What I find interesting is how other supposed Communist nations are also deteriating into pseudo-capitalistic countries and following behind China in encouraging trade with other developed countries, (anyone notice Vietnam in the last few years?).
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Mar 25, '08, 6:22 pm

Heard this morning that China is mad at the US because of something to do with the US warning people that China might have lots of surveillance cameras everywhere there during the olympics, or something like that.

Also, I believe it was the new French President who says he may boycott the Olympic games in China.

It seems like this story has a long way to go from being over.

On one hand, it's kind of interesting to see another country at turmoil within itself as usually it's always something having to do with the USA. On the other hand, this is terrible that things like this can happen anywhere. :blank:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 26, '08, 12:32 am

Heard this morning that China is mad at the US because of something to do with the US warning people that China might have lots of surveillance cameras everywhere there during the olympics, or something like that.

Wow, I thought that would be a given. These days, there are cameras everywhere at important events like that in the US. I would expect it to be the same in any major country, even moreso when dealing with the olympics.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Casual Conversation