I'm being bullied on DA, and I don't know what to do.

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

I'm being bullied on DA, and I don't know what to do.

Postby MrKite » Sun Sep 21, '14, 3:19 am

This 17 year old little brat who ruined my friendship with someone I was close to last year knows where I am on DA and has been spying on me and been giving me away to other bullies and trolls, and I don't know how to do anything except prevent her from commenting on my page, my uploads and my group. I wish there was a way I could stop her from looking at all three period! I really need help as well as a shoulder to cry on!!
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: I'm being bullied on DA, and I don't know what to do.

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Sep 21, '14, 4:07 am

Sorry to hear that, man. I would imagine the best way to deal with something like that would be to report them as necessary and try to deal with it as calmly as possible. Trolls love the attention and as long as you coolly brush it off they should be gone before too long.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Sep 21, '14, 5:34 am

Start with whatever DA's bullying/abuse reporting systen is. From there...don't know. Big sites are unfortunately pretty bad with stopping online abuse and bullying.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Icecypher » Sun Sep 21, '14, 6:49 am

I also do not know what you could do. Reporting *could* help, but it could also be ignored, which would only make you feel worse.

Perhaps trying to ignore her could help. She would get bored and leave you alone.

Since ignoring her would be difficult in itself, you may feel better if you surround yourself with positive friends. Having something good to focus on would make it easier to let the immature girl be, until she got tired.

Who are you on dA? I am cesar-hernandez. I do not comment on dA as much as I did before the groups were created (since groups now take up all the space in my notifications page, and it is harder for me to check new submissions by individual friends). I see journals more easily. If you write journals often, I could comment on those (and those would also let me know when new art is available from you).
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby Aeroprism » Sun Sep 21, '14, 2:15 pm

Icecypher wrote:Perhaps trying to ignore her could help. She would get bored and leave you alone.

^That^

A troll you do not feed quickly dies.

It is the best and only weapons against these people.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Tweeg » Sun Sep 21, '14, 6:16 pm

During the great 949 board troll purge on GameFAQs (clearly I have no social life outside of the web) there were numerous tactics employed to oust the board trolls.

1. Collect intel on all of the known trolls. Where they live (country at least), e-mail, other sites they frequented and who they are on those sites. This served useful as being able to keep a watchful eye on the enemy on locations they didn't know they were being monitored at gave up good info to use against them.... not to mention their e-mail addresses and IM ID's got farmed out to every sketchy website on Earth.

2. Completely ignore all of their posts, even the ones that weren't violations of ToS (Terms of Service), this really set them off and 90% of the time resulted in them making insane posts that had even the members not in on the anti-troll alliance reporting them for ToS violations.

3. Always report even the slightest policy violation to the moderation team, regardless of what game/system board it was on.

The end result was that after a two week proactive campaign several of the trolls were perma-banned, others were hit with temporary account bans, and all of them suffered from one or more account warnings. It was a sweet victory and there hasn't been any further issue out of the ones who still have accounts since.

So my advice is rather contrary to that of what the others here have given. Go for the jugular and let your enemy experience a little taste of the hell they've been dishing out.

And should that not work, the fallback is always to plead a case for yourself to some anons, but make sure you try to do something on your own first as they don't tend to lend aid to those who haven't at least made an attempt to sort out their own affairs.
Last edited by Tweeg on Sun Sep 21, '14, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Aeroprism » Sun Sep 21, '14, 6:31 pm

Tweeg's method may work. Maybe. It has the potential of causing you huge amounts of aggravation and lots of worry.

As for the wisdom of trying to take one or many trolls head on, here are words I try to live by:

Never argue with someone who refuses to acknowledge reason and common sense, he will only take you down to his own level and beat you with experience.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Sep 21, '14, 8:29 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Start with whatever DA's bullying/abuse reporting systen is. From there...don't know. Big sites are unfortunately pretty bad with stopping online abuse and bullying.

Agree with Wolf Bird regarding beginning with DA's bullying/abuse report system, etc. If they live up to their stated etiquette policy and other policies then they should take care of the situation after they have been notified of it. Atleast they will have your info or complaint on record if any further harrassament to you occurs. Try not to find yourself getting down to her level if you can help it. That might possibly cause other problems there for you in the long run. Good luck and sorry you are facing these issues MrKite.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Casual Conversation