Expensive old games

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Expensive old games

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue May 5, '09, 4:34 pm

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/05/earthbound-auction-tops-1000/

We Earthbound fans are totally crazy. *Begins to hit herself with a hammer and sings a song about seaweed.* If I ever A) have that much money or B) get obscenely lucky at a used game store and find it for...a lesser price...I'm snagging that cartridge even though I don't have an SNES. I'm really beginning to wish I had an SNES back in the 90s and had an inkling of the existence of this game before the first Smash Brothers game came out. Even used Earthbound cartridges (JUST the cartridge, without the player's guide, big box or scratch and sniff stickers) can go for $100 and sometimes even more. *Sigh.* At least Earthbound ROMS are easy to find.

Has anyone else heard of old games being sold for such high prices?
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Expensive old games

Postby Thoul » Wed May 6, '09, 5:44 am

Zelda's Adventure, the third of the Zelda CD-i games, used to bring around $400 on eBay. That was years and years ago, though. I've never heard of a game reaching higher than that, as far as I can recall.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Wed May 6, '09, 8:29 am

The original Phantasy Star I have seen appear on the Australia Ebay site a couple of times it usually rocks up around $80-150 AUD in a decent condition.

Also Xenogears which never made it to Australia but somehow keeps poping up in the Australia stores section I have seen for $150 AUD too.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Wed May 6, '09, 1:28 pm

It's not uncommon for Panzer Dragoon Saga[for the Saturn] and Dracula X[for the Turbo Duo/Turbo CD] to start around $150. I usually shy away from those when I see them so I can't say if it's reached that $400 mark. I'm thankful I picked up PDS when I did, lol
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Fri May 29, '09, 8:54 pm

Here's the new most expensive one I've seen: Chrono Trigger for $6000.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Fri May 29, '09, 11:06 pm

Well doesn't that beat all! If only my original copy of CT would sell for that much.. Then I'd sell it and just keep my other copy ^_^ as well as my ps1 and ds versions. But really, 6k for a friggin SNES game. I mean you could check local gamestops *i know a few that still sell snes, hell atari games.* but damn, 6k for a game that you could just dl in like 20 seconds. Cmon people
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Darkil » Sat May 30, '09, 12:06 pm

Lol even though that wonderful game is factory sealed, with a buy it now price of that much it will never sell. If anything as soon as that seller allows bids to go on there it'll get high but nowhere near that high.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 8, '09, 2:27 pm

Those prices are absolutely nuts.

Radiant Silver Gun and Panzer Dragoon Saga, both for the Saturn, usually sell for around $200 each.

I remember back in the late 90's when FuncoLand (now GameStop) was giving an incredible trade-in option on Chrono Trigger. You could take $90 cash or a used PS1, used PS1's at that time were $99 at FuncoLand.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Schala Zeal » Wed Jun 10, '09, 2:22 am

Dang, those are some expensive games! @_@ Probably the most expensive I've seen is Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete for about $200 on eBay. I think... I've also seen a thousand dollar Chrono Cross music box on eBay. I wonder if it sold. :?
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Fri Jun 26, '09, 2:50 pm

Yeah only one I've actually seen was Lunar 2 as well. I have the complete set but my cats decided to chew on the little cardboard portraits so mine wouldn't be worthy much. :/
I know one of the game magizines had a whole list of promotional games that were going for alot of money. But I can't recall any of the names.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Next

Return to Retro Roundup