Pirated PSIV Game

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Pirated PSIV Game

Postby Tsunami » Tue Jan 29, '08, 4:08 pm

There's a pirated version of PSIV for the NES called Wai Xing Zhan Shi (meaning "Outside/Foreign Star/Planet Fighting Soldier" according to the Wikipedia article). I can't understand a word of it, so I can't speak of any changes as far as dialogue goes, but there's definitely differences from the original PSIV.

Changes I've seen up to this point:
    - Hahn doesn't join you in the beginning, though you can still see him in the cutscenes when speaking to the principal and when you free Holt (which are the only two cutscenes I have seen thus far).

- The world map has been changed a lot, so locations of places are different. Town and dungeon maps have also been changed.

- Aideo, Nayla, Mile, and Krup aren't in the game! There's only one town before Ladea Tower, but I assume it's Termi (so that means Monsen isn't in either).

- The wreckage where you learn about worldships isn't in the game.

- Music isn't the same, though here and there something sounds vaguely familiar.

- No macros in battle (obviously NES couldn't handle that :p).

- Seems that none of the techniques are offensive. Alys also has healing techs in this (weird change, but bothersome since I don't know what half the things do).

- Lassic is in Zema. Beating him fixes the broken bridge that would lead to Aiedo if it were there.

- Seed doesn't blow up or get blocked off.

- There's pictures of items when you go to buy things in shops and in the equip menu.

- When you meet Zio for the first time, you don't fight him. Instead, Alys gets blasted anyways and cutscenes ensue, and the party goes to Tonoe. The Machine Center has also been moved near Tonoe.

- The stairs leading to Nurvus in Zio's fort now leads to a room where he is waiting for you.

- When taking the ship to see Wren, it doesn't even show Zelan. A cutscene takes place and it has much dialogue, then it shows the ship crashing and introduces Raja right after. You can't enter his small temple, either.

- Mist Vale, the cave where the Musk Cats live, isn't in the game. No Dezo penguins, either.

- The Climate Center on Dezolis isn't there anymore.

- You lose Raja in Meese/Reshel (I don't know which it is, but I assume Reshel since the buildings look destroyed and there's bodies lying around) and Kyra joins you right after. Don't even have to bother with the carnivorous forest to find her.

- Esper Mansion...at least I think it's Esper Mansion... It's not the same, since there's monsters running around and whatnot.

- Gumbious Temple is different. Many treasure chests lying around and no Dezolians in sight.

- No Air Castle! Partly explains why Lassic is in Zema. Maybe. Still weird, in my opinion.

- The 2nd Dark Force looks like one of those Blauzen monsters in battle. o_O

- You do lose Kyra after defeating the 2nd DF, but you get her back when you go to the spaceport you'll find two people there (I assume that it's Raja and Kyra, but only Kyra joins). If I do another play-through, I'll need to test this.

- There's no Seth in this game.

- On Ryukros, Anger Tower doesn't exist.

- At Motavia's spaceport, rather than choosing a 5th member, you can customize your party! But, you are always stuck with Chaz by default (this is pretty cool, in my opinion, but keep in mind that they are exactly how they were when they left, so they will be at the same levels and have their old equipment).
Aaand, that is it unless I come up with anything else!

So has anyone else tried or played this? And, if anyone would like to see screenshots, I can post some.

EDIT: I've gotten farther in the game and found more things that are off. :fainted:

EDIT #2: Near the end of Dezolis now. At first I thought there weren't too many changes, but there's more than I thought.

Another EDIT: Finally reached the end of the game! :D And, more changes were present...
Last edited by Tsunami on Sat Feb 2, '08, 7:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Celeith » Tue Jan 29, '08, 6:49 pm

i just downloaded and played this.. its weird as hell... Alys' portrait scares me
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 29, '08, 7:48 pm

I think I downloaded it a long time ago, but never played it. It sounds pretty weird. I think I'll make a point to give it a spin, though. I'd like to see how different it is and how things were changed. Maybe I'll even start a map section for it. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jan 30, '08, 5:31 am

This game is hard... I can't get past igglanova. I wish I knew what items did what. Gaahh! I need a translation for this game! >_<

But I love a challenge so it's all good.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Tsunami » Wed Jan 30, '08, 9:59 am

Kaloes wrote:i just downloaded and played this.. its weird as hell... Alys' portrait scares me
The other character portraits are weird too. I think that Gryz and Demi are the only ones that acrually look alright. :D

Thoul wrote:I think I downloaded it a long time ago, but never played it. It sounds pretty weird. I think I'll make a point to give it a spin, though. I'd like to see how different it is and how things were changed. Maybe I'll even start a map section for it. :lol:
Wouldn't be hard to get maps for this. All the dungeons are relatively small and so are towns.

Trenzer wrote:This game is hard... I can't get past igglanova. I wish I knew what items did what. Gaahh! I need a translation for this game! >_<

But I love a challenge so it's all good.
I couldn't figure out how the saves work, so I just used savestates...which made the game easier. :whistle: It is hard at parts, especially in the beginning, so levelling up is the only way to go at points. Luckily, it's easy to run away from things, though sometimes you're forced to fight anyways.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Tsunami » Thu Jan 31, '08, 12:46 pm

I have found a few bugs in the game. D: However, they are later in the game.

- Saving doesn't work in the game. Savestates are required to save progress.

- There are many chests in the game that apparently don't give you anything and remain closed (I have no clue what's up with this). :o If anyone can figure out what's going on with this, I'd like to know~

- This isn't exactly a bug, but the ship itself looks like Kuran... So it is amusing to watch the satellite float towards your destination. :D

- When you reach level 34 or so, in the status menu it will show that you need roughly 60,000+ (whatever is left to reach the maximum) experience to reach the next level. This is fixed when you reach level 37.

- When fighting the PD, there is a chance that, if you die, you won't get a game over and the battle will freeze.

- When you see a trio of Xe-a-thouls (they are blue like D-Elm-Lars) in the Edge, they will all die if you simply kill one rather than targetting all three. :eyebrow:

Those are the only bugs that come to mind for now.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Lucas » Sun Aug 31, '08, 8:01 am

I downloaded the rom of this game but I can't get very far. After I defeated the Igglanova in the basment I went and spoke the principle and after I left Piata the world map became corrupt and the game froze completely. Not to mention the game is only in Japanese so I have a language barrier and Alys's portrait is strangly done :o

Scary pirate games............... :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Phantasy Star IV