Did you buy them new or used?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Did you buy them new or used?

Postby Neithird » Thu Oct 25, '07, 4:06 pm

For the PS games you own, did you buy them new from the store or as used, second hand games? If you got them used, did you get the whole package (box + booklet) or just the game itself?

I bought PSIV new and PSI and PSII used. Neither of those had anything other than the game. :(
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 25, '07, 9:12 pm

From what I can recall, my brother got all his games used (I think from his friend). When I had to get another PSIV cart, it was used too, but it still worked fine! ;)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 25, '07, 10:51 pm

Let's see... I got PSIV new, but it had been out for a while so the price had dropped considerably, as I recall. PSIII might have been new too. I'm not too sure on that one. The rest, that I've bought, were used.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Fogeltje » Fri Oct 26, '07, 9:56 am

I got everything used. My first PS experience was a rented version of Phantasy Star. Eventually the renting place sold its old SMS games and I bought PS. It came complete with box and manual.

I bought PSII-PSIV on Ebay. PSII came with manual only (no map and no hintbook) but I bought the hintbook seperately. The first hintbook unfortunately missed several pages (Nei Dungeons), got a full refund though, bought a complete one later. PSIII and PSIV were complete with box and manual. I also bought the PSIII hintbook seperately on Ebay. And last but not least I bought a MegaDrive on Ebay to play them on :)
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Fri Oct 26, '07, 4:56 pm

That stinks about the hintbook, but at least you got the refund and another one. It all worked out in the end. :up:

They should have made a PS1 hintbook. That thing would have flown off the shelves! :D
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby hugues » Fri Oct 26, '07, 10:13 pm

In order of purchase...

-Phantasy Star II new (which I traded in at some point around 1995 :cry: )

-Phantasy Star used, bought from a friend after getting hooked on PSII. Included the box and manual.

-Phantasy Star III used, although only about a month after it was released. Included the box and manual

-Sega Smash Pack (includes PSII) - came bundled with Dreamcast

-Phantasy Star Online ver2 for Dreamcast - new for $4.99 on clearance

-Phantasy Star Collection for GBA used off eBay, just the cartridge.

-Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 (includes PSII,III,IV) new

-Phantasy Star II used off eBay, included the manual and in decent shape.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby hugues » Fri Oct 26, '07, 10:21 pm

Neithird wrote:That stinks about the hintbook, but at least you got the refund and another one. It all worked out in the end. :up:

They should have made a PS1 hintbook. That thing would have flown off the shelves! :D

OK, this is not a joke. Back in the late 80s/early 90s Sega had a free tip line where you could call and get an actual "game counselor". I guess when they were a smaller player in the market they could manage the call volume. Anyway, the friend that I bought Phantasy Star from used to call them every night for help with the game. Not kidding, every night. Go ahead and laugh, we were like 13 or 14 and had nothing better going on than video games.

Anyway, someone there finally just sent him the hintbook the counselors had. It basically looked like something you'd see on GameFAQs.com, just a text FAQ on the game with some crude ASCII maps. At the time it really cool.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Tsunami » Sat Oct 27, '07, 2:32 am

hugues wrote:-Phantasy Star Collection for GBA used off eBay, just the cartridge.

I forgot about that for some reason! :p I did get that game brand new.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 27, '07, 8:31 pm

I forgot to include the condition on my games. They were all complete, except for PSII, which had only the cart and box.

-Sega Smash Pack (includes PSII) - came bundled with Dreamcast

Man, I should have waited and got a Dreamcast when that bundle was out. All I got with it was a lousy webbrowser.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Sun Oct 28, '07, 1:53 am

hugues wrote:Anyway, someone there finally just sent him the hintbook the counselors had. It basically looked like something you'd see on GameFAQs.com, just a text FAQ on the game with some crude ASCII maps. At the time it really cool.

Wow! I never knew they had something like that. I would have liked to get a copy of that too. It must have been the first ever Sega hint guide. :starry-eyed:
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to Classic Series