To promote the release of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection in Australia and Europe, Sega released a soundtrack with a small selection of music from games included the collection. The soundtrack came in the format of a limited edition, 12 inch, blue vinyl LP record with a cardboard sleeve. Only 3,500 copies of this soundtrack were printed. Each copy is numbered on the sleeve, but not on the record.

The records were released only in Australia and Europe. The majority went to Sega of Australia, who received 2,500 - 71% of the total print run. Many of these copies were offered as a pre-order bonus for the game collection from stores in the region, including JB Hi-Fi. The remainder, 1,000 copies or 29%, were distributed by Sega of Europe.

The record and sleeve were produced by Key Production.

Special Distribution

While most of the soundtrack records were offered as pre-order bonuses, some copies were distributed in other ways.

Sega of Australia placed record #0001 for sale in an auction using the account sega_aus. The auction stated "This limited run of records will never be re-created." The record was described as being in mint condition and never played, but the cardboard sleeve had slight wear and markings from shipping. The final selling price for this copy was AU $500.00, with free worldwide shipping, paid by user c1_midnight. The proceeds were slated for donation to the Cancer Council of Australia.

Sega of Europe distributed four records through two contests. One contest, held on the company's blog, distributed three copies to readers who were able to answer a trivia question correctly. The numbers of these copies were not revealed. The fourth copy was part of a contest called "Seven Days of Sega" than ran from Monday, October 5, 2009 to Sunday, October 11, 2009. Each day featured a different prize. The prize for the final day was a package of a PlayStation 3 console, the PlayStation 3 version of the game collection, and soundtrack record #3046. These contests were limited to residents of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

Track List

As a vinyl LP record, this soundtrack has two sides. Each side features three tracks with one track per game featured on the soundtrack.

  • Side A
    1. Space Harrier - Main Theme (4:09)
    2. Ristar - Star Humming (3:28)
    3. Vectorman - Day 3 (Tidal Surge) (3:03)
  • Side B
    1. Golden Axe - Turtle Village (2:13)
    2. Phantasy Star 2 - Restration (2:07)
    3. Vectorman 2 - Scene 18 (Shout and Twist) (3:46)

Image Gallery

Release History

Release Title Date Region
SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection Soundtrack February 20, 2009 Australia
SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection Soundtrack February 20, 2009 Europe